First High Heat Brisket

Jim Clay

TVWBB Fan
Ok, I've lurked this forum for several years. I've learned a tremendous amount about smoking and BBQ in general from this site, which has been a great resource for me. I must say, the first time I started reading about this "high heat" nonsense I laughed. I mean, doesn't that fly in the face of low and slow? Well, I decided to try it, so went to my local Barbeque's Galore and bought some lump charcoal and hickory chunks. I got a 7" flat and fired up the WSM which quickly got to 340. I put on the flat and waited 2 hours, checking the temp until it hit 160 at which time I placed the flat in a 13x9 aluminum pan and tightly sealed with heavy duty foil....oh and half a bottle of beer
icon_wink.gif

I've always been a slave to internal temp but I realized about 1 1/2 hours later that wasn't going to be a good criteria for judging when this meat was done. I made the mistake of sticking a temp probe in the meat and nearly fainted when I saw an internal temp of 208
icon_eek.gif
!! I could tell that the meat wasn't done just by how tough it felt when I put the probe in. So, I bit my lip and left it on for another 40 min. I took the meat off and let it rest for 1 1/2 hours certain that it was going to be a disaster.

The final product was better then I could have imagined! It was firm yet fork tender, juicy and flavorful with a great smoke ring and all in 4 hours. I'm a complete convert. I'll never do brisket any other way. I can't wait to try this method on beef ribs
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I did a high heat pork butt this weekend. It took 5 hours then an hour and a half rest. It came out so good I can't see myself doing it any other way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've always been a slave to internal temp but I realized about 1 1/2 hours later that wasn't going to be a good criteria for judging when this meat was done. I made the mistake of sticking a temp probe in the meat and nearly fainted when I saw an internal temp of 208 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Correct. It's nothing to hit that temp even 10 min after foiling because the cooking dynamics change once the meat is foiled (or panned and covered).

Good job!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
[
Correct. It's nothing to hit that temp even 10 min after foiling because the cooking dynamics change once the meat is foiled (or panned and covered).

Good job! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin,

When I did my first HH brisket a few weeks ago I foiled, trying to follow as closely as possible the technique that you had described.

Assuming the brisket will fit in an aluminum pan, do you see any reason that either using the pan or all foil would be a better choice over the other?

Not overtly. I use foil because I always have it around. Aluminum pans I never use for anything so don't keep them on hand.

It is possible that there might be a difference were one cooking a flat of lower quality (or one that was overly trimmed or to thin) in a too-big pan, but all variables being relatively good, and equal, no, I don't either as a better choice.

FYI, I used the foil pan just out of convenience. I had 4 or 5 of that size on hand and just decided that it might work well. The was also a wild hair thing. My dad always told me that beer made just about everything better (cooking wise). I don't think I'd do the beer again as it seemed to me like there was way too much liquid in the pan at the end of the cook.

When you do the high heat method, do you use an empty foiled water pan? How hard is it to control the cooker temps?

Yes, the water pan is empty.

Getting the temps to run 350 can take a little bit of effort at first because it's different, but is easy once to get the hang of it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike_G:
When you do the high heat method, do you use an empty foiled water pan? How hard is it to control the cooker temps? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I do high heat, I still use the minion method, but light off like 3/4 chimney of lump. Once assembled, all bottom vents full open and let her rip. If you have a hard time getting up to 350 or so, just crack the door a bit, or offset the lid by 1/2 inch.

Easy peasy!

Jim, look back at your cook method and tweek it so next time it'll be even better and smoother. I use foil mainly cause I can't get a pan small enough to fit the brisket and the pan in my WSM. I've found out the WSM doesn't have to hit the 350-370 mark exactly to do this process. Even if it's off by being lower or little higher,no big deal. It's getting the meat up to foiling temp and watching after that that counts. Like Kevin K , I like to pull the meat off when there is some resistance to the probe. It'll finish cooking, wrapped in the cooler. Remember, SAVE THOSE JUICES!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Chris,
I noticed you have a barbeque forum and a grilling forum on this great website. Shouldn't threads like this be on the grilling forum since they are grilling the brisket and then poaching/steaming/braising it?
Don't you think the heart and soul of barbeque is low and slow?

Back