First gas grill ever - need some advise on repairs and restoration

Yanik

Hi guys,

I moved to a new apartment last week and the new landlord gave me his old Weber Gas Grill one of his old US tenants left behind some years ago. I am not sure how old it is but the last years it was sitting unprotected outside in his garden to rot and house stray cats...

From my research I am pretty sure that it is an older Weber Spirit E-310 (US model?). The label it has inside is not readable anymore. Unfortunately the gas bottle is also too big to fit underneath but I think that can be changed relatively easily. It is working and I had a first steak on it but I want to get it into a better condition.

This is my first gas grill, so I have more or less 0 experience with gas. My last grills all were coal. Thats why I am looking for some advise on how to best proceed from here.

I detached the 2 side tables to it better fits on my balcony. It looks pretty run down and is super rusty, outside on the edges of the main frame as well as inside out such as the gas pipes. I tried to clean it already and scraped of some dirt and rust. The attached pictures are after I cleaned it.

I saw a ton on videos and threads but as I am a bit lost I hope I can get some specific advise on what are the priorities to clean or change.
The first question is if it is even worth to repair and where would you start?

If more pictures are needed let me know.

Thanks a lot for your help on this journey :-)

Attachments

• IMG_20210522_170157.jpg
    IMG_20210522_170157.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20210523_135152.jpg
    IMG_20210523_135152.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20210523_135242.jpg
    IMG_20210523_135242.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20210523_135307.jpg
    IMG_20210523_135307.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20210523_135316.jpg
    IMG_20210523_135316.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20210523_135330.jpg
    IMG_20210523_135330.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20210523_135430.jpg
    IMG_20210523_135430.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 41
Grates are good. Need new burner set as the old one is shot. Flavorizers bars are useable but on the way out. I do not see a drip pan and you need that with some liners for easy cleanup. The thing you need to address if keeping this grill is the rust on the base. It will get worse and the grill will fall apart. You will need to put the grill on table or saw horse and take the base off, deal with the rust by sanding or grinding. treat with Rustoleum Rust Reformer or similar, paint and put back together. There are some good posts on this forum about that. I will be doing my 2 burner Spirit like yours next week and will try to take some pics as it is my first one like yours in the same shape.

As Bruce has stated hundreds of times and worth repeating for newbies "Do NOT try to take out the screws holding the ends of the burners" They are only place holders. Search videos for Weber Spirit burner replacement.

I agree with Joe. If you want the grill to last, you will have to deal with the rust inside the cabinet soon. Get new burners, and flavorizer bars. Bars are useable, but are already starting to rot through so it is time for them as well. Grates need cleaning and should be good.

Yanik,
WELCOME TO TVWBB :coolkettle: !

Do you have tools you can use the sand or grind off the rust inside the cabinet (the lower portion)? I am sure it could be very costly to try and buy replacement parts since you are in Singapore. If you could sand off the rust and repaint those parts, the grill will last much longer.

I agree with the need for burners and flavorizer bars. I hope you can get those much more reasonably. Most of the replacement burners and flavorizer bars are from China. That should make that easier for you to get those.

If you can fix the rust and get those new parts, I think you will have a nice grill that will work for you for a number of years.

Yanik, welcome to the board.​

Just by looking at the pic, I believe that floor may be beyond saving.
I would call Weber customer service and get a replacement price before
tackling that job. Chances are, the bottom side looks even worse than the top.

Yanik, welcome to the board.​

Just by looking at the pic, I believe that floor may be beyond saving.
I would call Weber customer service and get a replacement price before
tackling that job. Chances are, the bottom side looks even worse than the top.
Dave you must be psychic. I just put this 2017 up on saw horses and it is not looking good. I can't believe this Weber Spirit is only 4 years old! I almost passed out when I looked up the date code.

Attachments

• 20210527_194106.jpg
    20210527_194106.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 20210527_194110.jpg
    20210527_194110.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 20210527_195822.jpg
    20210527_195822.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 37
Since I am already into this POS, I figure I will grind the rust. paint, and use about 6 small L brackets to reattach the bottom unless someone has a better idea.

Maybe ditch the bottom base if it is too bad and if the sides and back are still OK, clean them up and prime and repaint that. Then make a base out of wood to bolt the grill back to and add some HF casters to the bottom.

But, if it was me, I could find better ways to spend my time and money. I would part it out and find another smaller head ache to tackle.

I keep swearing that I am going to be more selective with what I tackle...But this time I mean it! Right after this grill;-) It was so nice when the other day I picked up a 3 year old Genesis 2 E-310. Spent a few hours cleaning it up and flipped it in a day for $350. I have to just stick to what works. I guess it almost balances out as I will make about $2 / hour on this one.

LOL.

t0sG1c6.jpg

I agree with you both. The problem is what are the good parts good for? The lid, firebox, burners, and shelves are in nice shape. These are the parts that last, so who is going to need them. The others Spirits of this model out there have the carts also rusting out. But then what, they sit in a corner of my garage for years? Only the shelves are easy and light enough to sell and ship with eBay. I will see how bad the base is after grinding the rust, if not salvageable I do have a larger base from a Charbroil I have been using as a dolly. Ironic that the Charbroil cart was built better than the Weber. I am thinking 2x4s on the inside back and sides of the cabinet with screws should work. I am also a little stubborn and would like this to go back out into the world as a working grill for someone, despite Weber's ****ty workmanship on this model.

I beleive the cook box is the same as a Silver B and the lid as well.

But, hey, if you just want to put it back in service and don't care about putting it back to factory stock condition, you should be able to get it done. Just don't turn it into a money pit.

I beleive the cook box is the same as a Silver B and the lid as well.

But, hey, if you just want to put it back in service and don't care about putting it back to factory stock condition, you should be able to get it done. Just don't turn it into a money pit.
This is only 4 years old so Front Burners or that would be a good idea. Ever try to mount a front burner on a tube frame? Sounds interesting.

The problem is what are the good parts good for?

This is a difficult one to answer, and there isn't really a good answer if you
plan to keep on restoring. You can quickly find yourself out of work space,
and having the look of a salvage yard. On the other hand, as soon as you
toss something, I guarantee you, you will find yourself looking for that part
very soon. It happens to me so often. Good luck finding an equal balance.

Thanks a lot guys for the advise.

I will see what I can do with the rust. I scrapped a bit off and will try to fix what I can. I may not be perfect but if it will last a few more years I am happy with it :)
I am also in contact with Weber to get their opinion on it.

I keep you updated on the progress.

I just listed the the 2 burner Spirit with the rusty base. The description of what I did is in the ad.
20210601_182916.jpg

Back