First Full Packer Brisket on the 22.5"

IMG_4014_zpszfhch40k.jpg

IMG_4012_zpseqonfykx.jpg

The Point. I didn't make burnt ends but I'll see what I can do with the leftovers.

IMG_4011_zps3nh1cdhc.jpg

One for the dessert lovers.

IMG_4017_zpsrwwwg8ma.jpg

nicely done there Gary. You might want to try the weber briquettes for long slow cooks - they work really well with consistent heat. Lumpwood can be more susceptible to peaks/surges

Thanks Chris. You are right, briquettes are much less risky and much more consistent. I got a bit carried away when I saw the Big K Lumpwood on Ocado and added it to our usual shopping and no extra delivery charge.
I was so impressed with the quality of it I decided to use it for the brisket. Unlike some other "restaurant grade" lumpwood I bought from an independent charcoal producer it was heavy and consistent size lumps.

I have a 13lb's of Weber briquettes in the shed and I have been a long term fan of Aussie Heat Beads on the Weber kettle before I got the smoker this year. Difficult to light but last a very long time. I was a bit put off when I discovered they contain brown coal. That lumpwood left no ash and was such a clean burn. It ran hot at the start and also when I was messing about wrapping and left lid off but other than that it worked well with minor tweaks. I am sure briquettes would have been easier but less exciting :D.

Feels like low and slow is a constant learning experience and I've only just started!

Waiting for someone to import Kingsford into the U.K. I used some on holiday in Caribbean this year. I assume it ends up too expensive with transport and import duty?

i think Heat Beads and Weber briquettes are the two faves here. There are some restaurant grade charcoals people use - but they tend to use forced air systems (CyberQ, Party Q etc)
Webers briquettes are new for 2016 (new supplier) - so will need to see how they behave - they look more like the Kingsford stuff now...

no idea when/if Kingsford will ever export

Bye, bye brisket. Leftovers go into a special cottage pie. Chopped up the Point and what little was left of the Flat. Avoided the peppery and fatty bits. Some sliced and fried shallots and some leftover carrots, all mixed with a nice rich gravy, topped with creamy mash and a topping of Parmesan.

IMG_4028_zpsfj6nusde.jpg

IMG_4029_zpsjntp5pga.jpg

IMG_4031_zpswjk5n0pt.jpg

IMG_4034_zpszotrkhjo.jpg

The final portion of leftover leftovers

IMG_4035_zpsv6flfpdn.jpg

The End (of the beginning)​

Ah, the circle of life:) Great idea for putting brisket leftovers to good use. I'll keep cottage pie in mind next time I'm on day 3 of leftover brisket sandwiches.

Great post Gary. Very informative. Nice brisket too. And that cottage pie, perfect winter grub!!

Back