First ever Tri Tip

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
First time I have been able to locate a tri tip. Smoked at 250 for 45 minutes rested and reverse seared it right over the coals on the WSM. It was a little under done, but still wonderful. Such great beef taste, tender and rich. I don't think I got my probe in the middle, not use to cooking such a thick piece of beef, I will pay much closer attention to this next time.
IMG_20200905_185027.jpgIMG_20200905_185043.jpg1599346256859~2.jpgIMG_20200905_185131.jpgIMG_20200905_185325.jpgIMG_20200905_185330.jpgIMG_20200905_185349.jpgIMG_20200905_185359.jpg

Looks like good color to me, what was the final temp? Looks medium
120-125 at the thickest section. The meat I cut off both ends was perfect and that is what I have in the pictures. The middle was under done ever for me who likes pink. I have the sliced up leftover with all the juices. I am going to heat some of that up tomorrow in a pan to make a Sammie.
Even with that being said, it was really good! I am looking for to the Sammie right now.

Good looking cook Michael. I like my beef rare to medium rare, so it would be perfect to my taste. Your sammies should be perfect!

Good looking cook Michael. I like my beef rare to medium rare, so it would be perfect to my taste. Your sammies should be perfect!
My Pittsburgh Steel Mill working late grandfather who we called pap action because he earned the name action during his drinking days because where ever he went the action followed, use to make us deer steak tenderloin in a skillet (and you did not call it venison, it was deer). A little salt, pepper, and season salt, a little pounding and into the skillet. That is one of the best tasting cooks in all my childhood memories. It would only happened once max twice a year and I can still see him with a sweat towel on his shoulder working over the stove.

I say all the this to get to today's lunch. I got the skillet hot, pulled out half the tri tip which soaked up all the juices and laid a single layer down, flipped after two mins, two more mins, out the skillet and onto the slider buns. Then I took a bite. It took me back to my childhood, it is the closest thing I have ever tasted to that of my grandfather deer steak cook. It was an amazing feeling to be taken back to that experience. So as good as the tri tip was night one, I enjoyed it ten times more for lunch today. Still have enough left for lunch tomorrow.

The thicker pieces of tri tip still had a pink center ever after being cooked today, it was really really good today!

I love tri-tip and cook it all the time. Growing up in Northern California it’s just about everywhere. My favorite way to cook it is to season with coarse salt and coarse pepper and sometimes I’ll add garlic powder. Then I like to throw it on my kettle directly over coals. The key is to make sure your coals are settled down a bit and adjust your vents so it’s about 350. Throw a couple oak chunks on there and grill about 10-15 minutes per side until medium. Let rest at least 10 minutes and slice thin across the grain. So delicious. Serve with garlic bread and ranch beans. Perfect dinner!

I love tri-tip and cook it all the time. Growing up in Northern California it’s just about everywhere. My favorite way to cook it is to season with coarse salt and coarse pepper and sometimes I’ll add garlic powder. Then I like to throw it on my kettle directly over coals. The key is to make sure your coals are settled down a bit and adjust your vents so it’s about 350. Throw a couple oak chunks on there and grill about 10-15 minutes per side until medium. Let rest at least 10 minutes and slice thin across the grain. So delicious. Serve with garlic bread and ranch beans. Perfect dinner!
Branden,
I have bookmarked this reply. Next time I get my hands on a tri tip, I want to try this method.

Another example (as currently discussed in another thread) of how tricky it can be to hit the reverse sear exactly right.

But still a good cook.
Jim,
I just went into a rabbit hole reading the reverse sear thread you mentioned. I read the original post, but didn't keep up with the responses as I didn't have enough context/ experience to fully engage with the whole thread. Now after this tri tip and reading that whole thread I think I did most parts right. I pulled it off right at 110 and let rest, got a fresh grate hot over the base of the WSM and put the tri tip on. I think where I missed was I got nervous and did not let the tri tip reverse sear long enough on each side. I was worried about over cooking it and in the nervousness I did not probe the center of the thickest part and pulled it too quick. But all that tri tip is gone so I will have to get my hands on a few more and try a few more methods including a re-attempt of this one to figure out my preferred method.

Here's an interesting riff on using your WSM for tri-tip Santa Maria style. Oak logs in the bottom, door off (just for show), water pan out, lid off. Use the two WSM height levels to get low/high heat. Front end sear, not reverse.

Haven't tried it yet, but makes sense.

Last edited:
In addition to the traditional method set out so well by Branden, I have also had good luck with the reverse sear. The reverse sear tends to be smokier than the direct heat method. I prefer the smoke but the wife does not, so mostly I cook direct.

Back