First Ever injected Pork Shoulder with the last of my Weber Charcoal.

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
When I made this Pork Shoulder in a Vinegar Bath awhile back I saved/froze the leftover pork vinegar bath goodness. I thawed it out and took about half of what was left and injected it into a pork shoulder last night around midnight. After it was good and injected, I got some of my homemade BFB rub on it and wrapped it and into the frig. Got it out of the frig at 5 am and onto the WSM 14 at 6 am. I used the last of my Weber Charcoal with the last of my first two bags of Blue Hogs Briquettes (I have an order of another bags of Blue Hogs and a bag of B&B ready to pick up tomorrow at Ace) with some hickory and pecan wood. WSM ran perfect all day 260 from 6 until noon when the shoulder was wrapped and 300 from noon until 3 pm when it was pulled and put into the cooler. I mopped it every hour until it was wrapped and then put the little bit of pork vinegar goodness left in the foil with it at noon.
At 5:30 I opened it.
IMG_20210422_185834.jpg

This is what was left in the foil when I moved the shoulder out.

IMG_20210422_185824.jpg

So I pulled it, then added most those juices back to it and ready for service.
IMG_20210422_185809.jpg

I always judge the quality of a pulled pork cook by how my son eats it. If it meets his standards he had three sandwiches and is still picking, if he does not like it, he picks at his first sandwich. Either way he is usually pretty quick about the whole thing.
Today after his first bit he said "WOW, that is good pulled pork." He was done his first sandwich before I even was done prepping my first and he had three and was reaching for a forth bun when my wife said "your flagged".
That cook is at the top of my list of pork shoulder smokes. It was so soft and tender, with surprisingly a very mild vinegar flavor, with a richness that I never had in a pork shoulder cook.

Three reaching for a forth? Must have been good! Man, I wish I could eat like a kid. Nowadays I gain 6 pounds just walking down the beer aisle at the supermarket

Three reaching for a forth? Must have been good! Man, I wish I could eat like a kid. Nowadays I gain 6 pounds just walking down the beer aisle at the supermarket
I know right, and he is just like me when I was younger tall and rail thin so I have warned him it will change and to enjoy it now😂. His love of pulled pork is one of the things that lead me to start smoking meats, so last night was an extra rewarding cook.

Back