First cooking demonstration

A co worker and I were invited to do a smoking and BBQ'ng presentation at our local library in the city where we work. Armed with two WSM18's and a power point presentation we ended up feeding 36 people. We served pulled pork, ribs, turkey and pastrami. It was a hit and some people asked if we would cook for them and their families for parties if they paid us. They also asked if we were getting kick backs from Weber since we bragged about how much we love our smokers. LOL

The best way to start a business! When the customers are already buying your product before you even know you're selling it....

Best of luck!

(moer pics!)

It only takes one Demo. I did a party 3yrs ago for a buddy's wife's birthday. After that, I had people hounding me from that party. So I gave it a shot. Ended up being pretty profitable once I figured it out. Good BBQ spreads like wild fire. for everyone you do, you will get at lease 3-5 phone calls if you give out cards. I turn away alot more then I take on. Lost a few bucks in the beginning. Now a few gigs a month pays for all my comps,beer and gas in the boat.

We were invited back to do another one in August. I actually could have retired two years ago and have been looking at pull behinds and food trucks but not sure how much work it would be. I'm sure its a lot more work cooking for people than it seems. My buddies always told me to become a Charter Captain and I always told them I didn't want to turn fishing into work. Wondering if it I'd feel the same way about BBQ. LOL..............Todd, did you take any classes on starting a small business or just wing it and figure it out. I'm too young to retire for good but getting too old to continue being a Cop. LOL

Back