first cook with Royal Oak

Cory Musser

TVWBB Fan
I did my first cook with Royal Oak lump today. I did a high heat cook with the
"Roadside chicken" recipe(which by the way is excellent). I've been looking for a recipe that comes close to the one a guy uses around here that does cooks for church socials and such. Anyway, I have a question. I used a chimney to get it going and that stuff popped and threw sparks everywhere. I just wanted to know if this is typical of Royal Oak? If so I can deal with that because it seemed to work really well. The lack of smoke at start up was a plus and it smelled good. All in all I think I like it. Gonna have to try it on a long cook before I make my mind up though.

It hasn't been typical for me but sparking usually depends on what the wood mix happens to be. Some woods spark more than others. Royal Oak is comprised of a mix of woods not just oak, notwithstanding the name.

Cory..I used RO Lump for the first time last night and had the same experience. It concerned me so much while grilling that I am not sure I would use it in anything but my WSM. I had been looking forward to trying it, but now I am afraid I am going to start my desk or fence on fire with how much it was popping and sparking.

I used some in the kettle the other day, and when I had it in the chimney, it was like a firewoks display. I do all my kettle/WSM cooking on the driveway, so it doesn't matter to me.
I've had Humphries lump do it also, but not as bad.

I used some in my kettle tonight for an indirect turkey leg cook. This was the second time I used RO and it has sparked and popped both times. The temp I obtained was remarkable--~ 490 degrees before I completely shut off the bottom vent. Like Bob T. I cook on the driveway so the fireworks display does not create a fire hazard.

Does anyone know how hot RO lump will get?

S Whipple I

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I am afraid I am going to start my desk or fence on fire </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you considered moving your grill outside?
icon_smile.gif

How are all of you lighting it? Torch? That could be a problem.

It's pretty hard for teeny little sparks to light anything but what can happen is that you end up with a soot spray all over the place--not attractive--nor tasty--on food.

How hot lump gets will depend on how much is in the pile, whether or not it's all completely lit, air intake, etc. I've had much higher temps with WG but it's not something I normally check.

I've use RO almost exclusively when cooking with my wsm. I have not noticed the sparking when lighting, but I usually do not put RO in the chimmney to start my cooks (MM - always). I tend to use a few briquettes to get the cook started.

For slow MM cooks and using briquettes to get the cook started, RO lump is a very good product.

I have experienced the sparking when lighting Royal Oak lump and Humphries lump in a charcoal chimney, don't know what causes it, but it happens every time so I beleive it's "normal".

It does not occur though when lighting it like Jerry N does.

I light mine on the side burner of my gasser. Even after I dumped it in the charcoal chamber it sparked a little. I do my smoking on my back patio which is made of concrete so I'm not concerned. Just wondering if it was normal. I'll use it again.

About ten years ago I used my first lump, Natures Own , I think, I got it at Food Lion, it sparked like crazzy until it all got hot then did fine . I have used others over the years , most do some sparking . Just be careful when you get started. I am down to less than 20 -24# bags of the old Kingsford so I think I will be looking for a new fuel . Sometims lump will give me more heat than I want on long cooks so I will need to find something that works.

Rick

Back