First cook with lump and Guru

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Silverman

TVWBB Pro
Well,

I was curious about cooking with lump vs. my old standby Kingsford. I don't have any issues with briquettes, I just wanted to see how long a cook I could get with hardwood charcoal and the wonderful Guru.

I filled the ring as full as I could get it with Ozark Oak lump and then buried several chunks of hickory , sugar maple and black cherry. I started 20 kingsford briquettes in the weber chimney and dumped them on,to get the party started Then I put on a 7 lb. butt covered with cheap yellow mustard and Texas bbq rub # 2 ,turned on the guru (ramp mode) and came in to write this message.

Wait , I lied. I stopped on the way and made a small cocktail first !!!

Anyway, I know that hardwood is not supposed to last as long as briquettes, but i am curious to see if the Guru can make it possible to do a long overnight cook using hardwood.

I'll keep you all posted as things progress.

Al

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Al Silverman:
I put on a 7 lb. butt covered with cheap yellow mustard and Texas bbq rub # 2 ,turned on the guru (ramp mode) and came in to write this message. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You're gonna like this, Al
icon_wink.gif

I have a good feeling about this cooking session. It just seems to be going very smooooooth. !!!!!
I'm drinkin' Stoli and Diet Coke. They seem to be going down very smoooooth as well !!!!!!

Al

Al, you have some top notch lump there.I have 40 lbs of that haven't used it yet. I got 15 hrs out of a ring of R O lump which is only about 7 lbs of charcoal. I used a total of 10 lbs for a 20 1/2 hr cook. Keep us posted Bryan

i sure hope you aint drinking that nasty ol lemonade malt crap....good i didnt think so....
al, i like the idea of fillin up wiht lump and then gettin it started with kingsford...not a bad idea.... ya please keep us posted...

I would like to mention the charcoal grate mod if burning lump. Do it it's the best mod that i have done on the Bullet. Bryan
For you Mords
icon_wink.gif

The double grate mod is the one i did. You can use expanded steel also. Even if you don't use lump it'a a big help to keep charcoal from falling throught the grate when it burns down and gets smaller. Here's a link for you
icon_wink.gif
Charcoal Grate Mod Bryan

ya thanks for the link.. i just found it and was posting saying i found it when i heard a click that my mialbox got some mail.... i see not a bad idea....thanks im rereading it right now...im hittin the sack early today.. take care

Hey Bryan......Do you find the double grate mod. restricts the ash from falling into the lower chamber? That's the only concern I have.

I find a slight more restriction buta few more taps and a gentle stir seem to do it--but I haven't done stright lump that often--Bryan, your opinion?

Side note: Al said on a different board that he was going to try soaking his smokewood 12 hours--wonder if he did.

Hi guys,

Brief morning report on the "Lump&Guru show".
Very un-eventfull night. I slept ...the butt cooked.

At 5:30 the butt was sitting in the lutus position at precisely 165 degrees. Where I'm sure it will stay for eternity !!

I did soak some chunks for 12 hours in hot water. Those chunks are still puttin out smoke. The others are pretty much spent. I read that the hot water soak opens up the pores of the wood letting it soak up alot more water than if put in cooler water.

I have noticed two differences between lump and Kingsford. First, the absence of that funny smell. DON'T START!!!! and second the temp in the pit climbs much faster when the lid is lifted for basting and flipping etc. and takes much longer to come back down.

I am not doing this lump cook because of the issues related to Kingsford but I just wanted to try it. It is more expensive so, I think next cook I will do a 50:50 mix of hardwood and briquettes.

I also have ordered Mapleleaf briquettes. Supposed to be 100% hardwood with only a wheat binder.

Oh ya, almost forgot, I did do the grate mod. And there is very little ash as compared to the Kingsford.

Al

I haven't done straight lump on a long cook. I get less ash but my lump is so chippy that it seems to hold more of the Kingsford ash when I 50-50 mix necessitating a bit more aggressive tap and stir.
I want better lump before I attempt using it straight. An OO purchase is in order. And probably a guru.
I'm with you on the "funny smell". Its absense would be welcome.
Based on your observation I'm going to try the 12 hr soak.

Thanks .

Greg,
I don't know if it's a good idea or not. I am looking at a 20 hour cook with straight Ozark Oak lump. I like the idea of a cleaner burn, but cost is also a consideration. The lump is about double the cost of Kingsford. even more when HD has its sale.

I dunno...

The butt sure does smell good !!!!!!

Al

Well the cook is over !!!!!!!
The Stoli & Diet coke has benn flowing ALL afternoon!!!!!!
I am very impressed with thr Ozark Oak Lump.
I got a 20 hour cook with temps stable around 230 degrees. The guru did lower the temps to around 210 at the end of the cook when the butt temp was at 195.

There is still quite a bit of lump left on the grate. WOW I bet I could get 24 hours easily.

I suppose that if cost isn't a factor then lump is a viable alternative to briquettes.

Just for the hell of it I cranked up the Guru to 300 degress to see what would happen. I got the pit temp to 300 in about 12 minutes.

There is still one chunk of cherry smoldering away.

Al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back