First cook underway!

So I went to the local market and got two slabs of baby back and decided I would try the recipe Chris had posted in the other section called competition ribs.
Fired up a full chimney of kingsford blue and put some unlit briquettes around. The perimeter of the ring. Filled the pan and closed all the vents until it got down to 215-220....took about 20 minutes. My thermometer on the lid (weber)shows about 30F less than my portable that I have rigged in the top vent. Ribs went on around 12:15 eastern and I plan on checking them around 3:30-345 to prep them for the foil. Fingers are crossed but this seems too easy! The WSM is holding 215-220 like clockwork. I just hope I have enough fuel for the entire cook.I hope I don't jinx myself!
One fear I have is that I may have went too heavy on the rub. We shall see

Just realized the joke is on me! I knew it!
Put the ribs on bone side down. Such a bonehead!!!!
??? Yeah so ?... If I was cooking them flat thats what I would do. No need to foil but jmo. Good luck with the cook.

Thanks Marc....I feel better now....I had them on 3.5 hours and opened it once to fix the orientation...I noticed a tiny bit of pullback on the bone but not much.....I really was shooting for fall off the bone tender....can you get that without foil?
They are foiled with juice now anyway but I want to learn.
Talk me off the ledge!!!

Yes, you can get FOTB without foil, but doing so will increase your bark and possibly dry around the edges. Some people who like FOTB may not like the drier bark.

I think you will like them in the foil for a short bit.

I've got two slabs on right now and plan to go somewhere around 2 1/2 out and 1 in foil for a change today.

Thanks guys....I feel somewhat better now. They got hot...like 235 a few times but it was really only for a few minutes.
Man do I hope these came out good. They have been on since 1245 ish and foiled at 345. Planned on unfailing around 530.

235 isn't too hot by any means, a lot of guys/gals cook them between 250-275. There really isn't any reason to try to cook them as low as you are.

Just did three racks (rolled) for the 4th. Ran at 275 without any foil and was done in about four hours.
Foiled for transport and then held about another hour. Unfortunately (for me) they had become FOTB in the foil. However, everyone else thought they ere the best ribs they ever ate. Not sure if any alcohol consumption played into the comments but I'll take what I can get.

Maybe that's why they aren't pulling back too much yet.....I was just following Chris' competition rib recipe....I think it's so the brown sugar in the rub doesn't burn.

Do you think if I bump the heat and keep them in foil they will fotb?

Originally posted by Steve W (Weave):
Maybe that's why they aren't pulling back too much yet.....I was just following Chris' competition rib recipe....I think it's so the brown sugar in the rub doesn't burn.

Do you think if I bump the heat and keep them in foil they will fotb?

I don't think sugar burns until it gets above 300. Bump the heat up and see how they go. Personally, I don't like fall off the bone, to me that means they're overdone, but some folks like them that way.

Well it took 6.25 hours and they were very tender but not fotb....d efinitely got some great reviews from my guests but not as good as I had hoped which I think is directly related to my temperature being too low for too long. Next time I'm going to shoot for 250. I also really enjoyed the mildness of applewood smoke as a change.
All in all a good first cook and I'm looking forward to doing a butt and chicken soon.
Also dying to make some bacon! I have access to unlimited bellies every week!

Congratulations! Sorry you didn't reach the goal of FOTB but I'm betting after six hours there were some hungry people to be fed. Next time go for a bit higher temp and if FOTB is really what your looking for a bit longer time in the foil.
"I have access to unlimited bellies every week!"
We need to be friends!
icon_biggrin.gif

Back