First Cook Pork Butt High Temps

Oh, and beware seemingly loving family members that are urging you to take it out at 195 even though you are getting some resistance when you probe.

They are simply suffering from Aroma Inflicted Hunger Syndrome (AIHS).

Yes, I made sure my family knew not to rely on this being tonights main course! We will have plenty of left overs too. Plan on making some chili and brunswick stew with some of it too. I think I saw a squirrel running around here somewhere...I also noticed that the lid doesn't spin freely. Either its the lid or the barrel. Smoking meats is a great reason (read excuse) to stay and home at cook while the wife does her shopping! I have two daughters ages 13 and 15 and man I need a break whenever I can get one! Thanks for all the tips today! Just waiting on it to finish off now! I will be smoking a brined chicken tomorrow before working up to a 12lb brined turkey this weekend in preparation for the big day.

Never wrapped a butt
193-198 does it everytime
Takes as long as it takes

General rule....faster requires higher ending temp for same result....so if you speed up by wrapping...you may need slightly higher end temp. You shortened the cook time. It takes time and temp to break down collagen.

There is no reason to ever put in oven, imo.

You want pulled pork btw, not pork mush. Yes, you can make mush. That's frequently what restaurants serve because they keep it in a hot pan with liquid for hours and it continues to break down.

Last edited:

Back