First cook - Personal sized deep dish pizza

Darryl - swazies

TVWBB Diamond Member
I picked up 2 lodge pre seasoned 8 inch cast pans, decided to do personal sized deep dish for me and the MRS.
I am using store bought dough and making my own sauce.
Trying to keep it real like a Chicago style would be, lots of cheese and sauce and minimal toppings. I’m Canadian so let me know when I mess something up here.
Just going with half cooked farmers sausage I took out of the casing and pepperoni. The MRS chooses pepperoni and mushrooms that have been quartered.

Attachments

• 46AF3B52-BF1B-4DB9-ACD6-2771FA9EB3F7.jpeg
    46AF3B52-BF1B-4DB9-ACD6-2771FA9EB3F7.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 5213EB16-EF6D-4300-B289-E61A81BC9CF8.jpeg
    5213EB16-EF6D-4300-B289-E61A81BC9CF8.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 23
I spread the dough out and then layered it with soft butter. Rolled it up, cut it in half made 2 balls of dough. Put them back in the fridge until I need to make the pizza. Used the immersion blender to break down the bigger chunks of the tomatoes and quick fried up some onions and garlic. Added the onions and garlic to the tomatoes and added a bunch of spice. Salt, pepper, red chilli flakes, white sugar, onion powder and garlic powder, and a good amount of oregano.
I plan on using the performer to cook these pizzas if I can get it up to 450 ish with Weber baskets on each side. Was going to add wood, not sure which kind, I have many kinds to choose from.???

Attachments

• 9F26AC6A-9BF6-4E01-AC3A-0B815D25E8E2.jpeg
    9F26AC6A-9BF6-4E01-AC3A-0B815D25E8E2.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 4F18AC17-13A2-4528-A46C-58B49613D76A.jpeg
    4F18AC17-13A2-4528-A46C-58B49613D76A.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 10
  • F7DA9FED-5BA4-42C8-B643-52FE2A28C9B8.jpeg
    F7DA9FED-5BA4-42C8-B643-52FE2A28C9B8.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 10
Thickening the sauce here for at least an hour, not to worry I have appropriate beverages for a Friday and spinning some excellent wax.

Attachments

• 9BCCA476-0D4A-405D-A66B-778C7CE14BDF.jpeg
    9BCCA476-0D4A-405D-A66B-778C7CE14BDF.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 17
  • DCFE53EB-5FD5-413A-A9CA-5F0A87EC8D88.jpeg
    DCFE53EB-5FD5-413A-A9CA-5F0A87EC8D88.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 17
When you can no longer pronounce "Wyborowa" is it time to call it a night?;)

I lived in the Chicago area for 4-1/2 years and I think every CSDDP/CSSP I ever ordered had at least 4 or 5 toppings inside. Why fill all that space with mostly sauce and cheese?;)

Ah, Chicago Style deep dish pizza. When I make one, I make the dough from scratch, bag it, and put it in the fridge for a day. The key is to not over work the dough. But nothing wrong with store bought dough. Cheese (slices) on the bottom, next on is not sauce, but 6in1 canned tomatoes, drained. I spice up the tomatoes with garlic, fennel, oregano, and basil. Finally the toppings on top. If using sausage, I usually go with Bob Evan's Italian, pressed into thin patties and placed on top in the raw. Bake and enjoy. All said, it is whatever and however you want to make it. As long as you are the chef, you are the boss. Looks like you are ahead of the curve.

Yeah the Wodka.....lol it’s pretty good polish vodka, it has a hint of anise so it’s unique that way. That one is almost gone but I have another 40 lined up to keep the night good. I recommend this vodka.

Ah, Chicago Style deep dish pizza. When I make one, I make the dough from scratch, bag it, and put it in the fridge for a day. The key is to not over work the dough. But nothing wrong with store bought dough. Cheese (slices) on the bottom, next on is not sauce, but 6in1 canned tomatoes, drained. I spice up the tomatoes with garlic, fennel, oregano, and basil. Finally the toppings on top. If using sausage, I usually go with Bob Evan's Italian, pressed into thin patties and placed on top in the raw. Bake and enjoy. All said, it is whatever and however you want to make it. As long as you are the chef, you are the boss. Looks like you are ahead of the curve.

Well I am new to this, I have a high moisture stretchy type of saputo mozzarella. Which is going down first and I have a lot of it, then a layer of pepperoni and this half cooked top shelf sausage, then the sauce. I have made this pizza in the oven before and the crust wasn’t fully cooked. Not hot enough in the oven and I made it way to thick. This time will be thinner while focusing on the cheeses and sauce. From watching the food channel and what I have been watching on the you tube the cheese and sauce are a big deal.

When you can no longer pronounce "Wyborowa" is it time to call it a night?;)

I lived in the Chicago area for 4-1/2 years and I think every CSDDP/CSSP I ever ordered had at least 4 or 5 toppings inside. Why fill all that space with mostly sauce and cheese?;)
So was the pizza in Chicago really expensive? It is how it seems when I look into it.

I often parbake the crust for five minutes in a very hot oven 500°, pricking the dough with the times of a fork first. Might try parbaking the crust and see if that helps with thicker crust.

i use mozzarella and provolone both. Not sure it makes a difference.

It was to me because it was my first job and I could only afford the good stuff every so often. There were plenty of times when I had to settle for Little Caesar's!;)

Trying to keep it real like a Chicago style would be, lots of cheese and sauce and minimal toppings. I’m Canadian so let me know when I mess something up here.
Here's your Canuck homie John Catucci visiting Lou Malnati's a few years back. I tried to find a video but could only come up with some stills:

I often parbake the crust for five minutes in a very hot oven 500°, pricking the dough with the times of a fork first. Might try parbaking the crust and see if that helps with thicker crust.

i use mozzarella and provolone both. Not sure it makes a difference.
I was thinking of building the pizza and then putting it on the stove burners on high to get the cast nice and hot first before hitting the charcoal. Pre hot pans and then into 450 or better was my initial plan. I just want the pizza and dough cooked through before the crust turns to burnt on the kettle....seemed intelligent anyways.....depends on how many wodka’s I have by then I guess.

Darryl...looks like the makings of something really, really good.

Lol...I literally have Decade playing right now. Love both of those albums, but Decade is way up there for me.

Here's your Canuck homie John Catucci visiting Lou Malnati's a few years back. I tried to find a video but could only come up with some stills:

John Catucci I don’t think is anyone’s homie.....lol. I have seen that episode though. I will be sure to share some more pics when things get moving later on here.

Darryl...looks like the makings of something really, really good.

Lol...I literally have Decade playing right now. Love both of those albums, but Decade is way up there for me.
Thanks man, I’m going for gold here, I usually settle for 3 cooks or so to “ perfect “ what I am doing but I have been investing some time here on making this right the first time......Decade is good man, it’s a lot of good Neil by the time you get to side 5 it’s been over an hour an half though lol.....the vinyl collection is full on good ones from 67 or so up to 73 ish and of course others that go all the way up to today’s music.

Well I am new to this, I have a high moisture stretchy type of saputo mozzarella. Which is going down first and I have a lot of it, then a layer of pepperoni and this half cooked top shelf sausage, then the sauce. I have made this pizza in the oven before and the crust wasn’t fully cooked. Not hot enough in the oven and I made it way to thick. This time will be thinner while focusing on the cheeses and sauce. From watching the food channel and what I have been watching on the you tube the cheese and sauce are a big deal.
Yea FC and you tube have no idea on how to make Chicago style deep dish.;)
Dave is right, you just drain good marzano tomatoes and crush by hand as you sprinkle on. It's more fresh compared to a simmered sauce for thin crust pizza.
But I'm sure yours are going to come out delicious.

Dave is right, you just drain good marzano tomatoes and crush by hand as you sprinkle on. It's more fresh compared to a simmered sauce for thin crust pizza.
I have these tomatoes here, a can of them but didn’t know!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 7
I know it’s going to taste good, I need to know the goods though, keep it up I need to know how to make this the right way

I have Parmesan for the top of the sauce. I hope for the best here....sauce is coming along good, a bit more sugar and chilli pepper added.....the MRS says it tastes like pasta sauce........yikes

Back