First cook on WSM!

R Sullivan

Well, on a balmy 40 degree day here in MN My birthday present, a new 18.5 inch WSM is fired up for its first cook! Tri-Tips are the victim and aside from me thinking the rub I used "suzie Q's santamaria" is entirely too salty, everything is going without a hitch! With my ECB I had to babysit it to keep temps up. Today, my wife asked "does that smoker have a thermostat in it or what?" Life is good!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Good luck. Your bro's up there in MN are smoking below zero so you've got plenty of Q season left.
icon_smile.gif

Congratulations R.

I too cut my smokin' chops on a gourmet ECB. The WSM is like going from a Kia to a Cadillac!

Well the tri tips turned out excellent. With that being said, i still have much to learn about oxygen control. I went inside for approximately half hour and had my temps drop down from 350-225 on me. I had inadvertantly closed a vent i thought was being opened in the dark.... other than that,the tender, juicy steak was amazing. The rub was NOT too salty after being cooked and the family raved about it! Now on to my turkey preperations for thursday....

Congrats, R! If you're going to smoke a turkey for T-day, be sure and put a roasting pan on the lower rack and catch the drippings... it'll result in the best gravy you'll ever have!!

Back