First cook on the 26.75" kettle

DarylB

TVWBB Fan
So my beautiful wife got me a 26.75" kettle for my birthday. It showed up in the middle of the week so I had to wait until the weekend to break it in. And I had been in the mood for ribs for a while so I grabbed some St. Louis spares and some stuff to make sauce and it was ON!!

I obviously havent used this grill before so I was flying by the seat of my pants a bit on how much charcoal to use etc. I made a pile along one side, I'm guessing it would have been equivalent to a Weber chimney full. I included a few chunks of hickory. Then I lit maybe a quarter of a chimney. While the coals were getting hot I sprinkled on some rub. Once the coals were hot, I poured them on one end of my unlit pile. I've never really done it this way but I figured I didnt want to catch that whole pile at one time. I closed the lid and closed down the top and let the coals do their magic. Once it seemed like it was catching, I closed down the bottom vents to about 1/4" and the top a bit more. I watched the thermometer on the dome and it seemed to settle in at 300. Time to cook some ribs.

I was actually amazed that is stuck there so long. I cooked for over 5 hours and held the temp like it was a WSM. I realize the dome thermo is not the most accurate instrument but just like with the WSM's, I really am looking for the temp it likes to settle in at and learn hold it. Worked out perfectly.

I peeked at 2 hours but didnt see the color I wanted so I left them another hour. Then I wrapped them with some extra flavor and put them back. I have gone on record on this forum saying I dont wrap for more than an hour but after an hour, I wasnt seeing them pull back from the bone at all so I left them another 45 minutes. At that point, they were looking perfect. Unwrapped and put back on the grill to tighten up a little bit. My wife didnt want sauce so I only sauced one and let them go a bit longer and finally finished by flipping them over to the hot side for a minute or two. For some reason that seems to really add some magic.

Overall, I was surprised at how well the grill held temp. I think I could possible cook a little hotter but honestly, I've never cooked ribs this good. I'm pretty sure I have never eaten ribs this good. I am super critical of my cooking but I thought these were perfect.

Now some pictures.

The new addition.

Getting Happy!

Fresh off the grill.

On the plate.

Daryl, you're a lucky guy to have a wife who understands the male compulsion to acquire bigger and better BBQ apparatus. I felt like I had to channel $$$ through a top secret Swiss bank account just to get my Cajun Bandit Stacker ;), hoping my wife wouldn't notice (she did, but I was able to stay out of her doghouse).

Terrific looking ribs!

Last edited:
Great first cook. The extra real estate of the 26 looks appealing too.

I definitely like the extra space. It made smoking less intimidating that the 22". Plus I typically feel like I run out of room on the 22" so I am loving it. I really wanted a Ranch but the price difference is just too much. After using the 22" so much, I had no problem paying $300 for this one but the jump to the Ranch is more than I am willing to take. Maybe I'll find a used one down the road. Until then, I love this grill.

And I just realized on of the racks looks burned on one end in the pictures but it was just darker crust I guess. There was definitely no burned flavor and I dont remember thinking they looked burnt that night. I am super happy with the cook and looking forward to maybe trying a butt on it this weekend.

You do have a great wife! I told SWMBO that I'd like to have a 26 she she very quickly said "NO!" LOL. To be honest there's nothing wrong with my 22 OTS ...but I'd love to have the 26 and your post makes me drool!

What's funny is, when I told my wife I wanted one for my birthday she said I should get something for me. A grill is for the house. I had to explain that even though others realize benefits from it, I benefitted from the effective therapy session that is cooking. I think she just felt guilty that she would enjoy the rewards.

Glad she came around. I love it and cant wait to cook more stuff. If this rain would give us a break I would have been cooking all week on it. I have some salmon and chicken I plan to put on tonight as long as it isnt pouring.

Back