First cook on new WSM 22 in progress

Don Gross

TVWBB Member
Popping the cherry on the WSM today. Cooking 3 slabs of baby backs for dinner, a shoulder for the freezer, and a sausage and pepperoni pizza fattie for snacks. (Which is just about ready to come off!) I'm taking pictures and will post in photo section later.

Early in the cook I couldn't get the temp below 250. Now it's hard to get it above 200 with all the vents open. I'm assuming accumulated ash may be inhibiting oxygen flow. When I pull of the fattie and unfoil (disfoil? defoil?) the ribs I'll see if I can monkey around with the fire to boost the temp.

I think my early high temp issues were related to starting with too many lit coals. I used the Minion method and since there was frost on the punkin around here this morning, I lit 40 coals to put on top. That was probably too many. The sun was out and it quickly got up to around 50, but felt warmer.

I let you know how things go.

Way to fire that new WSM up! Sounds like you got plenty of meat smoking going on there.When i smoke ribs and things that i want to hold the temp around 250 or so,i always use water in the pan,start my fire minion method with a half a chimney of lit,and the water in the bowl hot from the tap from the start.I throw the meat on right away with all vents open and as the wsm breaks 200 i start closing down the vents.Around 250 or so my smoker usually has all 3 vents open only less than a quarter of an inch and it will stay in that range for hours with the lower vents barely cracked and top vent wide open.I know plenty of folks can hold temps at 250 and below with no water in the pan-but i just go with what has been working for me.Looking forward to the pics-bet you may be lickin your fingers as i type....Have a great rest of the weekend-Richard

Thanks Rich.

Just served up the fattie to #1 son and the Mrs. Wow! Just awesome. I did pizza to make it more boy friendly. Next time I want to do breakfast and maybe a brat with swiss mustard and onions inside.

Back