First Cook Done.........WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirk J

TVWBB Member
I keep finding myself drawn back here, so I thought I'd post about my first cook. Had been planning on doing BRITU all week on Saturday. Friday night, we had a small blizzard, and the cold and wind stayed for Saturday. Into the garage I went. The only difference I made was to the wood...I used Pecan and Hickory, because that's what I've been able to find so far.
Fired up using the standard method, let the temp come back down, filled the pan, put the meat on. After about 1/2 hour, checked the temp and it had settled in at, 240 at the lid. I dangled a polder down just above the meat and it read 230. Opened the bottom vents to 1/4, and went back in. All I can say is...is this thing for real? This was too easy. I kept going back out and checking the temp, and it never moved. I felt guilty, I didn't hardly have to do a thing. Ribs were done in 4 hours...could have probably taken them off a little earlier. GREAT! is all I can say. Could have been a little more tender. Perhaps I'll try a different brand next time. Still better than I get in most restaurants. Man if anyone is reading this, wondering whether to buy one....DO IT! or nervous about their first cook.........DON'T BE. I have definately found a new pleasure.

Great report, Kirk. I'm itching to fire up our WSM again in the very near future. Be sure and try an overnight cook sometime with pork butt or shoulder.... amazing. Last time I did that, it was a perfect "puller" -- in fact it fell apart coming off the smoker! I used the rub from the BRITU recipe and applied it over a very generous coating of French's yellow mustard. Out of this world. I still have some leftovers from that cook, vacuum-sealed in the freezer.

Hmmm..... sounds like lunchtime to me!

Kelly

Kirk, were they spares or baby backs? To get them more tender, cook them longer, until a toothpick goes into the meat with no resistance (Jim Minion trick). It usually takes me 6-7 hours to get to this stage of tenderness.

Steve

Kirk
The temp was fine but for tender you need to cook until they are tender, a little longer would have done the trick.
It's nice when the orginal plan needs to be changed but you still can put it together.
Jim

Thanks guys, it's really great that you take the time to answer beginners questions. Can't wait till the next cook.

Hey Kirk,

I know what you mean about feeling guilty. Last summer, I was cooking on a borrowed offset. Talk about high maintenance cooking. Temps all over the place and constant fire tending. Pretty substantial learning curve, IMHO.

Got a WSM for Christmas. I'll only be using offest when I want to play with fire all day. Overnight cook is next on the agenda.

Darren

Nope, not a Klose, (not even klose /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif )but it did come from Texas.

It's about a 20x30 with a 20x20 firebox. Very heavy and rectangular, even the cooking chamber. It has a removable tray under the cooking surface as well as the firebox. Short (3") stack, poor air control, leaky.

One wheel is frozen, making it difficult to move. It was very rusty when I borrowed it and cleaned and repainted it.

Even with all its faults, I did manage to make some passible BBQ on the thing. It was just a lot of work.

Darren

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back