First Competition this weekend

Darren Wilson

TVWBB Member
New user to the site & of the WSM, but been grilling for many years. Entering my first competition at the weekend at "Q at the Canal 2" in Leicestershire, UK. Will be the first time I have used the WSM with a full load of meat. I have read through the website and picked up a lot of very helpful information on using the WSM. Hopefully I will be able to keep the WSM going overnight without running out of fuel (or the lit charcoal going out!).

Didn't do too badly for first event.

Dead last in chicken & ribs (skin fell off thighs during cooking and dried the meat out & didn't sauce ribs), 10th in pork (first time cooking it) & 5th in brisket (again first time cooking it!). Wife got a 3rd in the "for fun" dessert category so she was happy with a rosette.

Beat some very good teams in the brisket category so very pleased there.

Congratulations Darren !
Especially since some of the meats were your first time. Great Job !!!
And a Big Congratulations to your wife. Nicely done !!!
Wishing you and your team BBQ Excellence !

Congrats Darren, fifth ain't bad in Briskets (assuming more than 5 were entered) LOL

Congratulations Darren !
Especially since some of the meats were your first time. Great Job !!!
And a Big Congratulations to your wife. Nicely done !!!
Wishing you and your team BBQ Excellence !

All but the chicken were first cooks for me!!! Getting hold of packer brisket & decent pork butt's in the UK is difficult. I now have a localish butcher that knows the BBQ market and can get them for me.

Congrats Darren, fifth ain't bad in Briskets (assuming more than 5 were entered) LOL

There was 12 teams (not as big yet here in the UK) including some that have cooked at the Jack and other big US events.

Darren... just saw the other news. Sad day for UK BBQ.

Very sad day indeed. I have known Scott for over a decade (before he was BBQ'ing) and he has done nothing to deserve the way they have been treated. I know the full story behind what has gone on but not my place to say anything other than what has been made public, other than the good guys have been pushed out.

Didn't do too badly for first event.

Dead last in chicken & ribs (skin fell off thighs during cooking and dried the meat out & didn't sauce ribs), 10th in pork (first time cooking it) & 5th in brisket (again first time cooking it!). Wife got a 3rd in the "for fun" dessert category so she was happy with a rosette.

Beat some very good teams in the brisket category so very pleased there.

Nice one Darren. I'm first timing this weekend at the Grillstock festival in Bristol.
there's 4 of us in the team - and we've only met once!
Our goal is NOT to be last in everything :)

Chris

Excellent finish. Brisket is a bear and you nailed it. I'd take that in brisket in any competition. Get the fat from under the skin of the chicken and you will have no problems with it staying on.

Thanks all. Nice to see friendly posts (not used to that on forums outside of BBQ!!! LOL). We were less than 1 point off 4th in the brisket category, which also made us happy. Was a fair way off first place though, but we knew we would not touch the winners brisket as it was them that got us in to competitive BBQ & didn't give all their secrets away....... just yet LOL.

J Hoke, the fat was scraped from the under the skin, but as first time I had attempted that style, I don't think I secured the skin to the thighs properly. Always learning in whatever I do though, so know to use toothpicks underneath next time (must remember to remove them though for the boxing up!). I had major doubts about the chicken as out of the 21 pieces I took with me, I only cooked 7 due to the others smelling strange on opening the packs (wasn't going to take risks). I wasn't happy with the remaining 7 pieces, but I was told by a couple of the other teams and the organiser that they were fine (chicken is something that I always want to be perfect before cooking due to the higher risk of bacteria etc). I asked them to be 100% certain that I wasn't going to poison anybody!!!!

Next competition for me is in October in Holland at the Dutch BBQ Society Cook Off, so got plenty of time to practise cooks. This weekend I have a couple of briskets to do, so touch wood, I can turn them out as good as I did at this comp!

nice one Darren - don't forget pictures if you have any....we love to see what you've done

off to Bristol tomorrow to set up for Grillstock.
lots of pictures to follow!!!!

Chris... Wishing you and your team, BBQ Excellence.

well well well....what a fantastic weekend - and what a great friendly bunch of folks BBQ teams seem to be.

Grillstock festival in Bristol, UK - King of the Grill competition.
25 teams, seven rounds - chicken, ribs, brisket & pulled pork going towards Grand Champion - plus a burger round, hot wings and a chefs choice (anything goes)

Still find it hard to believe, because our dish was SO simple - but we only went and WON the Chefs Choice round!!!!!
First time out - four guys who hard only ever met once before

Here's a photo of the team busy on day one

And here's the 'trophy' - an engraved tankard

we also won some beers/ciders and a pinata stuffed with Mexican cheese!!!!

Best weekend ever - WILL definitely be doing that again!
Many more pics of ALL the presented dishes to come soon - along with final placings

Chris,

A BIG Congratulations to You and the Bullet Brothers BBQ Team !!!! Very Well Done !
Comps are addictive... ;)

Back