First cold smoke

It was wet and cold the last week. But not copd enough to do a cold smoke.

Today finally the temperature dropped. 5C / 40F early morning.

IMG_20241006_070221.jpg

Filled the the tube with wood chips and the WSM with cheese & whatever else I'd like to try cold smoking.

IMG_20241006_072009.jpg

Gotta say, good that I try it out with produce that will be cooked before eating. The hygene process for raw produce is kinda the opposite as for hot smoke. So I touched the packaging, and then the produce, just as I always do. Then I facepalmed. Figuratively of course.

IMG_20241006_080910.jpg

My partner was busy as well.

IMG_20241006_115839.jpg

Pulled after 4 hours.

Note to self: Buy oven cleaner and clean them ro a spit-shine before next cold smoke.

Also, I had a lot more smoke on top of the cheese, less on the bottom, and a lot less from the sides. Smoke continuously escaped between the lid and the body of the wsm. Maybe I should fit a gasket for better smoke submersion.

I like the tube so far. A full 12in tube only lasted 2 hours with wood chips, which would not be enough for an overnight cold smoke. It did however not go out on me.

The grate temp was also an interesting side note. The little smolder managed to heat up a WSM 22 by 10-13 degrees C. I was expecting a lot less. If I want to smoke meats, I should probably fill up the water pan.

Looks really good, Jonas. How long will you rest the cheese?

Love the smoked salt! How'd it come out?

My gasket kit definitely helped keep the smoke from leaking. I need a new door, but not until the gasket wears out.

It was wet and cold the last week. But not copd enough to do a cold smoke.

Today finally the temperature dropped. 5C / 40F early morning.

View attachment 101302

Filled the the tube with wood chips and the WSM with cheese & whatever else I'd like to try cold smoking.

View attachment 101303

Gotta say, good that I try it out with produce that will be cooked before eating. The hygene process for raw produce is kinda the opposite as for hot smoke. So I touched the packaging, and then the produce, just as I always do. Then I facepalmed. Figuratively of course.

View attachment 101304

My partner was busy as well.

View attachment 101305

Pulled after 4 hours.

Note to self: Buy oven cleaner and clean them ro a spit-shine before next cold smoke.

Also, I had a lot more smoke on top of the cheese, less on the bottom, and a lot less from the sides. Smoke continuously escaped between the lid and the body of the wsm. Maybe I should fit a gasket for better smoke submersion.

I like the tube so far. A full 12in tube only lasted 2 hours with wood chips, which would not be enough for an overnight cold smoke. It did however not go out on me.

The grate temp was also an interesting side note. The little smolder managed to heat up a WSM 22 by 10-13 degrees C. I was expecting a lot less. If I want to smoke meats, I should probably fill up the water pan.
For longer smokes, use quality pellets or a combination of pellets & chips in the smoke tube.

Back