First butt............

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I tried my first butt over the holiday. Almost 10 pounds with bone in. Did the Mr. Brown recipe and the Minion method. Took just under 18 hours. All compliments from guests. Also did a brisket under the butt. It was over trimmed but all I could find. It was good, I guess the butt basted it well. The brisket was done in ten hours.
I served the brisket in the afternoon and the butt in the evening. Some pulled and some sliced of each.

Congrats, Keith. You said this was your first butt, was it also your first brisket? What temperature did you cook at and to what internal temperature for each?

This was my third brisket, but better each time. It came off at exactly 185 measured at the flat. 10 hours with grill temps around 215-230F. It was under the butt and I had the temp probe on the top grate most of the time.
The butt cooked at grate temps of 220-235, mostly 224-228F. The temps barely changed. I took it off with temps between 195F and 198F internal and wrapped it for a few hours. It was excellent. I cannot wait to make another. I pulled most of it, served some as is and it got rave reviews. I mixed some with BBQ sauce for sandwiches.
After I did a bunch more cheese.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back