First Butt Smoke

Kevin,

My inclination with this smoke is to go longer, when in doubt. I want to make sure the meat pulls easily. On the other hand, I want to make sure I don't overcook it.

Is Boston Butt prone to getting dry or overcooked? Is that much of a concern?

Alright....

A little over 8 hours in. Took the lid off to get a few readings. A couple were 195 in the meat, but one seemed to be about 180-185. I think I'll little go another hour or so. The bark is soft and black. I hope that's how it's supposed to be. The meat is easily pierced with the therm.

Matt
If this is a bone-in butt (that just doesn't sound good) try to wiggle the bone and give it a tug, if it feels loose and wants to come out, it's ready. Man I can't wait until they go on sale here,I have to do some PP in the new cooker.

I tugged on the bone, and half the roast pulled clean away from it. So I got the cookie sheet to pull the roast off, and as I was flopping it on with tongs, the bone fell clear off. It's completely clean, other than where the bark stuck. It's resting now. Will post pictures later.

Thanks for the help guys.

Originally posted by Matt Sanders:
I tugged on the bone, and half the roast pulled clean away from it. So I got the cookie sheet to pull the roast off, and as I was flopping it on with tongs, the bone fell clear off. It's completely clean, other than where the bark stuck. It's resting now. Will post pictures later.Thanks for the help guys.

Yeh boy, thats what I'm talking about. Sounds like you nailed it.

Originally posted by Don Reed:
Matt
If this is a bone-in butt (that just doesn't sound good) try to wiggle the bone and give it a tug, if it feels loose and wants to come out, it's ready. Man I can't wait until they go on sale here,I have to do some PP in the new cooker.

I'm going to use the "bone wiggle" method the next time I fire up some butts.

Supper was great tonight! The pulled pork was awesome, though Weber's recipe for sauce was so-so. Gotta' find a better one.

I'm tried to get another picture or two up now, but the computer is having trouble.

Oh, and the beagle loved the bone. She eats much better during grilling and bbq season. She had some ribs a couple weeks ago.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back