First Butt on the WSM

augustus/mcrae

I have two roughly 8lb Butts which have been on 2 hours. This is my second overnight smoke and I'm pretty anxious regarding the outcome (first did not go so well). Wish me luck and I'll post how they turnout
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Just turned and basted the meet after 12 plus hours...the WSM stayed in the 240 F range all night (amazing). Spiked to about 260 after turning/basting but is back to 250 F. I'm very optomistic at this point as the Butts looked great and are at 272 F currently (almost as good as the pictures I see on this site
icon_cool.gif

If your WSM is at 240 and the Butts are at 270, there are 2 possible explanations;

(1) You have discovered a new energy source and will become famous and unbelievably wealthy. Please remember that the folks here are your only true friends and deserve a share. or....

(2) Your Butts are on FIRE!

icon_smile.gif
Good Luck!

172 F...you are correct. I did take a quick look to ensure they were not on fire. Quick question on pulling pork while adding sauce. Is there a technique or do you simply add the sauce as your pulling. This site rules

I pull a hunk and stick it in a pan, sprinkle on a little sauce, toss, and repeat. Mostly I use a vinegar-mustard sauce for this. I just use enough for moistening and a little flavor. I serve more of this sauce on the side when serving, plus a tomato-based sauce and often a fruit-based and/or a tomato/fruit-based one as well.

Augustus,
sounds like you have the butt moving towards a great finish. Congrats!
As for as mixing sauce into the PP, I personally don't. Alot of people don't put sauce on PP (myself & most of my family included) and some people like red sauce other like a mustard sauce. I just put two or three kinds of sauce out and that way people can do the samwiches the way they like them.
I know alot of folks will take some of the rub they used and sprinkle it over the pork after it is pulled and then give it a quik toss, like a salad and that comes out pretty good.
Have great dinner,

Arthur

Butts have been on for 17 hours and the internal temp is 183 F. I was going to wait until 190 F to pull but am thinking of pulling them now. Any thouhts?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Wait. Patience is a virtue with Q. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What he said.
"It's done when it's done" =
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back