First Butt On The Smoker

Robbie Holloman

I have two 6lb butts on my WSM22. Started with a full ring of Kingsford blue using the minion method with hickory chunks. Full bowl of water. They've been on for about 4:30 hours and my temps are holding at around 245 - 250. It started raining about 15 min after putting the meat on, so that was a pain trying to keep my temp up for the first couple of hours. The rain has stopped and now the temps are steady, but my vents are at 100-100-25. My guess is the water is the reason my vents are open so much. I figure I'll have to add some fuel in the next couple of hours.

When adding fuel, should it be lit? And at what point? When all vents are at 100% and the temp still falls or at some point before?

I agree, you shouldn't have to add more coals especially with the summer temps. The only time I have to add coals cooking butts is when the outside temp is fairly cold, like in the 20s. I add unlit coals through the door. I just softly pitch them in trying to disperse them as well as I can. Extra long tongs would help but I don't have any.

I didn't have to add extra coals, however I don't think there was enough fuel left for another hour if I had needed it. I pulled the butts after 9 hours of 250 +- 10 deg. Is this a normal burn for a WSM 22, or should I expect to get a longer burn time once me and the smoker get to know each other a little better?

I have never have had to add coals. I keep it filled up to the max for all my cooks because the WSM is so good at suffocating the coals when shut down. This way i got enough fuel for a chicken or a briskie cook......just sayin............

Back