First butt on 18.5

Mike from Iowa

I will be doing a 7.5 lb bone in pork butt on my 18.5 wsm and would like to eat at 6pm sunday evening at what time would you all put this on the smoker to be done by that time?

I usually put butts that size on around midnight. They usually get done between noon and 4pm. If it's sooner, I'll double wrap them in foil, put them in a towel-lined cooler. They'll keep for 4-5 hours that way. I've pulled butts out of the cooler after 5 hours and they're still too hot to pull by hand! Good luck!

I would put it on around 3am to give yourself lots of time as it could take anywhere from 10 to 16 hours. Don't forget it's done when it's done and you can keep it wrapped in tinfoil and towels in a cooler for 4 hours or better.This way you don't need to rush you can enjoy your day and be a hero at 6

The cooker temp will affect cooking time. At 250 - 275 that size takes me "about" 10 hours. Your results may vary.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Use 1hr per pound as your miminum depending on your cook temp, 2hrs per as your max. If it finishes early, foil and cooler it. If it finishes late, give your guests another drink.

You can't time a smoke like meat in the oven. Just give yourself a comfortable window for service. Worst case, more for you next day
icon_smile.gif

My wife won't let me use towels to put in the cooler, so a good alternative is crumpled up newspaper. So if any grease/liquid escapes the foil you can just throw the paper away.

Back