First brisket

Going to do a brisket that is just over 4 lbs on my 18 wsm, at 225-250. Using k charcoal. I have been reading that it takes approx. 1-1/2 hrs per. Pound. Is it possible to cook this brisket in approx. 6 hrs. Thanks.

OK. With respect to Larry , in my limited experience, a full brisket needs to get to at least 190 (better 200) before foiling.
That said, a 4lb brisket is probably just the flat which is tough to do in a smoker. Most do these wet in a slow cooker because the butcher has cut away most of the fat.
Maybe check it at 3 hrs by twisting a fork in it. If it's not fork tender, check it every 30 mins.

Just my 2 cents.

James

Hi James, I should have expanded on my foiling comment. I would foil the flat when she hits 160 - 165 and put her back on the cooker until "fork tender." You'll want to start checking for this around 190, I then check every 40 min. Will you be using a digital probe to monitor the flat while she's on the cooker? If not, I'd probably check her for the first time 1:30 or maybe 2:00 (probably closer to 2:00) after foiling her.

I do want to go on record that I primary do whole packers so someone out there with more experience w/flats specifically may want to chime in.

Thanks Larry. To expand on mine, when I said "foil" I meant pull it off and foil it to finish off heat. Also, upon reflection, I don't think you need to check it until at least the 4hr mark and then every 45 mins. as Larry suggested.

My Nickel.

James

I did a 5lb one last week, also my first. It got to 140 in about 3 hours and I was worried it was too fast, and then sat there for about 3 hours till it got to 165 when I wrapped it in foil and put it back until it got to 190, total time 8 hours, even for such a small one. It was very good, falling apart soft. I did it at 205 steady all the way.

Back