First Brisket

J Burnett

Memorial Day I decided to finally give brisket a shot. Read up and decided to go low&slow with it instead of HH.

Purchased about a 8.88 lb packer from Wal-Mart (only place near me that has untrimmed packers), and after I trimmed it up it was probably down to 8lb or so. Followed the rub recipe on the Overnight Cook article, only I added a little sugar to take some bite off. Went with oak and apple wood.

I started at 4am, thinking I'd plan for 12 hours (1.5 hours per pound) instead of banking on 1 hour/pound. Well it was done by noon on the dot, right at an hour/pound. Let it rest about 1.5 hours in the cooler and sliced. Point went back on for burnt ends since I had extra time left and the WSM was still holding steady. Flat was good, burnt ends turned out great as well. Bark was jet black and everything had a nice mild but present smokey flavor. Went another 4 hours on the burnt ends.

Front to back, the WSM gave me 15 straight hours of temps in the 230-240 range, using the Minion Method and no fuel added. I started with 2 full chimneys unlit in the chamber, and 20 lit+smoke wood on top. The anomaly of it is I had the bottom vents 100% closed for much of the cook. If I opened the vents it shot up past 260. But it held like a rock at 230-240 from about 9am until 7pm with the bottom vents closed during that time. I could have stretched it past 7 if I would have opened the vents. I was blown away, I've done quite a few cooks in the last year (check out my intro post) and have never had to shut the vents all the way like that.

Here be the pics:

Getting ready for an early morning...

ready.jpg

Rub on and into the fridge for the night!

rubbed.jpg

Roughly 5 hours in at this point I believe.

5hrs.jpg

Done, son! After an hour and a half in the cooler.

done.jpg

Bark

doneclose.jpg

Flat sliced. You can see at the bottom where I lost track of which direction I was slicing (cut the flat as it was too wide for my knife) and accidentally sliced with the grain. Rookie mistake!
icon_smile.gif

photo1.jpg

Point back on the pit for burnt ends

photo2.jpg

Point done

photo4.jpg

Pulled/chopped and ready to eat. Love me some burnt ends.

photo5.jpg

Thanks for looking! First brisket and definitely not my last!

-Jeff

Back