First Brisket ?

Kevin-kevdawg

TVWBB Member
I plan to smoke my first brisket sometime over the weekend. I purchased a packer last night at Wal-Mart after reading about this high heat method and plan on following the advise I have read on TVWBB. I believe the flat will be done before the point. Would it pose any problems if I seperate the flat from the point, to continue the point until done? Should I seperate them and foil individually after about 2.5hrs or should I foil cook until flat is done, seperate, rest flat in cooler, refoil point and cook until point is done? On average, what do you think the difference in time would be between the flat being done and the point. Or would I be better off leaving the packer whole and if so what are my options with the point?

Thanks,
Kevin

Say it ain't so Bryan!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Kevdawg - maybe check out this post

Packing on Sunday

Got a flat a Sam's today. Gonna put it on way too freakin' early tomorrow morning for a party tomorrow night. Does doing a flat take a lot less time then a packer? I've done one before(an all nighter)and it was absolutely delicious!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Perrin:
Got a flat a Sam's today. Gonna put it on way too freakin' early tomorrow morning for a party tomorrow night. Does doing a flat take a lot less time then a packer? I've done one before(an all nighter)and it was absolutely delicious! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Phil, It'll be done in 5 hrs or less if you High Heat it.
icon_wink.gif

I hear you,but I got this bullet to slow cook with real flavor. So it's 5:30 in the AM,the wifes is still sleeping,the dogs are still sleeping. Heck,even the cats are looking at me going "What the?". But my briskets on using a recipe I saw on Food Networks Diners,drive-ins and dives. A simple recipe from a BBQ place in Texas. Seasoned with seasoning salt,black pepper and garlic and smoked for hours. I'll let you know how it turns out.
icon_cool.gif

Brisket on an hour ago (high heat cook) temp at 275 lid. Was planning on pulling 2.5 hours in, foil flat, place point on bottom until flat tender and then cube and continue. Does 275 1 hour in sound ok?

Kevin

Yes. I try to hot 325 by then but I don't always if I've got other things going on. If not, I hit it soon thereafter.

Thanks Kevin, I am 2hrs in now and still around 275. I just propped door open for 5min and temp is 285. Still keeping my plan on foiling at 2.5hrs.

Kevin

Brisket dried out a bit, but very good. I think that I may have rested a little to long, it was tender when I pulled it off. Burnt ends turned out very good as well. I'm doing a couple fatties and some ABT's in the morning. Hands are burning from cleaning the peppers as I type. Thanks for all the help.

Kevin

Well, good. Yes, imo high heat brisket can dry some if taken to tender then held too long, especially if wrapped. Residual cooking can be substantial post cook if cooked at high heat.

Brisket came off at 6:15,foiled and held in cooler til 7:00. Everyone was full and there wasn't much left at 8:00! Everyone was also surprised that it cooked for 13 hours. Very moist and delicious! Y'all keep the high heat. I like the low and slow.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back