first brisket today

Chris Smith

TVWBB Fan
I'm a pork guy and I'm trying my first flat today. It's about 5.5 lbs. From what I've read with brisket it's done when it's done, but I don't know what to do about foiling. Should I or shouldn't I, and if so when is the proper time to foil? I'm putting a foil lasagna pan on top of the clay saucer to catch drippings to make No. 5 sauce. I figure if I'm going to foil, I'll just retrieve a cup of drippings and then put the meat in that pan and foil over the top.

What am I in for if I don't foil and just smoke until 190F/done?

I recommend foiling flats, especially if overtrimmed as is often the case, or if thin. If thick and well-marbled it's up to you. If thin/overtrimmed foil at ~160. If thick, 165; 170 if well-marbled.

Thanks Kevin. It's fairly thin and I didn't have to do much trimming, so I foiled at 167F. I just checked on it and it's at 198F and the probe still requires more force than I would've guessed at this temp. I'll probably check again at 205 and likely pull at that point and rest.

Just as I feared...ruined. I just don't see how you guys get tender brisket. I wasn't able to do it on my WSM nor my dad's grill/smoker a few months ago. At what temp should thin flats like this be pulled?

I'm also stumped at the near complete lack of a smoke ring. I always get a good ring on pork.

1000000280.JPG

I've never had trouble with brisket, but I always cook packers. I've heard a lot of complaints about unsuccessful cooks and dry briskets and they were always flats. Try a packer. I like the Kroger 8 lb - 12 lb cuts (I'm in the Atlanta area too).

Chris what temp are you cooking at? As for the smoke ring, are you putting the meat on directly from fridge? Also try water pan with water not clay saucer, this will make a big difference.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave O:
Chris what temp are you cooking at? As for the smoke ring, are you putting the meat on directly from fridge? Also try water pan with water not clay saucer, this will make a big difference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most of the smoke was at 235F. I actually put the meat on before 200F. It had been out of the fridge for about 20 minutes. When I foiled it the WSM climbed to 275F for the remainder of the cook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lew:
I've never had trouble with brisket, but I always cook packers. I've heard a lot of complaints about unsuccessful cooks and dry briskets and they were always flats. Try a packer. I like the Kroger 8 lb - 12 lb cuts (I'm in the Atlanta area too). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I picked this flat up from the Costco at Cumberland. I called the Kroger on Cobb while I was there and the meat dept told me they only had flats as well. While I haven't really sought them out in the past, I don't recall seeing packers in Costco, Kroger, or Publix here in Vinings, unless they only bring them out from the back on request.

My Kroger (East Cobb) has them from time to time and I grab them. If all else fails, Sams Club usually has packers. If you don't see any, ask the butcher to get you one from the back. Walmart has them too.

Back