First Brisket this weekend,, 1 question w/ suggestions please...

Jason Wayne

TVWBB Fan
OK, I have done butts for a couple of years now, chickens, prime rib, ribs, turkeys, meatloaf, salmon, etc.

Now, my first brisket. As a TN boy, there has never been a need or desire for this, but I am a little bored.

So, I went to the butcher this morning and bought a whole brisket *packer* and planned on following the Midnight Brisket recipe.

While I was at the butcher, we were talking and he told me that they cook theirs at the restaurant beside the butcher in Big Green Eggs after soaking the brisket in Dr. Pepper with a lot of pepper covering the brisket.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Would you recommend trying it or not? I have heard of using Coke or RC for country ham and such, but never for BBQ. Please let me know what ya think and any helpful suggestions that aren't already included in the brisket sections of the cooking topics are greatly appreciated!

Thanks and have a great weekend!

For your first brisket, I think it would make sense to do a more conventional approach--then if you want to experiment down the road you would have something with which to compare.

Those are my thoughts too. Besides, this isn't even real BBQ, per se
icon_wink.gif

I was just wondering if anyone had actually heard of the Dr. Pepper trick around here. The butcher sharpened up when he asked me a few general smoking questions and I answered them like a pro. He then asked what kind of smoker I had. When I told him I had two Bullets he shook my hand and said it was nice to meet me!

After that was when he told me the way he had been making them on his Big Green Egg. I think I will just try the basic, even though this recipe seems simple too.

I've heard of the Dr. Pepper approach but have never tried it. Some years back, a fine Texas gentleman by the name of "Belly" Maynard, rest his soul, let it be known that he was cutting a small hole in the cyro, filling the cryo of a packer with Dr. Pepper, and using duct tape to tape it back up and chill it overnight before cooking. Seems to be some confusion as to whether he actually did it, or whether that was just some smoke that he would blow with relative newbies.

Yep the Dr Pepper and beef are a hit together. I have read many O Que recpies like you were told to do. There's also a BBQ sauce made with the Dr that is supposed to be really good.It's posted here on the forum.
icon_wink.gif
Just Do it, to coin a phrase.
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks y'all. I think I will try the Dr. Pepper next time. I have also heard of Dr. Pepper recipes, but never for brisket.

Well, I put it on around 11 last night and it is DONE. Probably over done. I just woke up to see if things were going smoothly and to my surprise the internal was 205!

I hope it isn't ruined, it seemed extremely soft. The cooker was around 250 the entire time , so I don't understand why it cooked so quickly.

Back