First brisket - post cooking analysis

AndyK

I just finished my first packer brisket yesterday. That's all for your suggestions under another thread. It was great and loved by all my guests, I'm trying to be critical in order to improve and I have a couple of questions.

1) My smoke ring was pretty minimal - any thoughts on how to improve this? I put the meat on cold, and for at least the first 4.5 hours (of a 13 hour smoke) I had constant smoke. I wouldn't say it was an over-abundance, but it was a constant and easily noticeable. Later in the smoke, I would add a couple of chunks of wood if I couldn't see any smoke exiting the WSM - but for the last 5 hours, the smoke was relatively minimal.

2) It was prett moist and tender, but I think I can do better. My temperature ranged from 220 - 257 but mostly sat at about 235-240. We had some pretty stiff winds later in the day that caused some temperature spikes and required a bit more tinkering with the vents. Perhaps that was a factor.

Thanks again for any insights.

-andy

Andy,
Welcome to the board.
As for #1, don't confuse the smoke ring with the application of smoke wood. The ring is formed via a chemical reaction and from what I know, stops at 140* or there about. Adding more and more smoke wood will only give the food additional smoke flavor, and if you add too much during a cook, maybe too much of a smoke flavor.
Just curious, how much wood did you start with to get 4.5 hours of visible smoke? Usually the white smoke dies down fairly quickly, but there will still be smoke that you can't see or hardly see. I find that one application of wood at the beginning is enough for whatever I'm cooking, but it's a matter of taste. Did you use the Minion Method?
For #2, it's hard to say, because I don't know how you cooked. Did you foil for example? Generally speaking, the best way to get tender is to test for it by inserting something into the meat, a temp probe or skewer for instance, and if the item goes in with little or no resistance, food is tender.

Hi Andy,

Where did you get your packer? I intended to write a couple days ago, but ran out of free time to do so. I've purchased packers from the North 27th Street Walmart. They were all ungraded. Ungraded, doesn't necessarily mean inferior meat. Walmart's packers were always good as far as I'm concerned. I believe (Pardon the old-age, faulty memory.) that I've also purchase a packer or two from the 48th Street Super-Saver. I seem to remember, once, finding a packer in a bunker. Also, I seem to remember asking the meat counter guy for a packer and he brought one out from the back for me--it's been several years ago. I believe Super-Saver sells ungraded, store labeled meats. As you can tell, I don't often shop at Super-Saver.

I'm glad you first packer turned out well. I can usually get good smoke rings on my smoked foods. But, once in a while the smoke ring is minimal. Since we eat with our eyes (figuratively speaking) it's always nice to have a beautiful smoke ring. In reality, it's not all that important to the taste...

###

Good comments from Dave.

As I'm learning I'm finding:

Tenderness is set by cook time and tested by probe.

Moisture is set by foiling, which should begin about 165 to 170 degF.

Then there is trimming... for me it sets bark development, I believe. I've been trimming the non-cap side a lot so that the bark will be at the meat and I'm not required to munch a bunch of fat to get it. (I'm really defining the point versus flat. And I'm separating the point from the flat when I remove to foil. The point goes on the grill to get burnt ends; not foiled much if at all since moisture is not such a big deal with this fatty bit.) Then I'm trimming the cap to 1/4" or so and cooking cap down to protect the meat from radiant heat.

Other than meat selection, flavor is set by selection of smoke wood and rub. I finally got some pecan and it was soooo much better then hickory.

Finally there is rub. Which is flavor. My last brisket was Texas style; No "rub" in the covered with rub sense. Seasoning. Salt, cracked pepper, some homemade chile powder and some dried thyme. That's it. No garlic, No onion. No sugar. No paprika. It was the most intense beef flavor I think I've ever had. I am seriously jonesing to do it again. Soon.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:

Just curious, how much wood did you start with to get 4.5 hours of visible smoke? Usually the white smoke dies down fairly quickly, but there will still be smoke that you can't see or hardly see. I find that one application of wood at the beginning is enough for whatever I'm cooking, but it's a matter of taste. Did you use the Minion Method?
For #2, it's hard to say, because I don't know how you cooked. Did you foil for example? Generally speaking, the best way to get tender is to test for it by inserting something into the meat, a temp probe or skewer for instance, and if the item goes in with little or no resistance, food is tender. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Dave - Thanks for your reply and the help. I n answer to your follow ups. I used the minion methond and hid about 8 chunks of wood in the coals - mostly just under the top. I also set about 4 chunks in with the hot coals on top.

Also - I measured the temperature with the semi-useful Maverick dual probe thermometer. I monitored the smoker the entire time, but only inserted the probe into the meat 5 hours into the process. I inserted it an inch or so away from the thicker point portion and left it there until it read 193. I'm pretty confident it was in the middle of the meat, as I use the probes fairly regularly in most cooking and BBQing. After that, I foiled the meat and set it in the cooler for about an hour prior to slicing.

Thanks again.
-andy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D. L. Whitehead:
Hi Andy,

Where did you get your packer?

### </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi DL -

I bought the packer at Sams - Omaha. Lincoln Sams doesn't carry according the the meat guy I asked. I stopped by the South Super Saver and their meat guy told me they never stock the packers. Ditto for the Hyvee by me.

I had seen the packers at walmart, but became concerned since it was ungraded (oh - and the meat guy tried to convince me that select grade is better than choice). I didn't know anything about ungraded meat, so I tried elsewhere.

Good info on the smoke ring. I ate the leftovers today and really noticed the smoke - perhaps it's because I smelled like a camp fire yesterday and become used to the smoke smell?!!

-andy

Hi Steve -

Aside from the UT logo, I really appreciate all you had to offer!
icon_smile.gif
(I'm still pretty sure that last second ticked off the clock before Colt got it out of bounds) HA! Now... on to important matters...

I used apple wood to smoke, but have got a cache of pecan I can't wait to try next time.

I didn't foil anything until I pulled the entire packer off the grill. Then it just sat foiled in my cooler for an hour until we sliced into it.

Finally - my rub was straight out of the Smoke & Spice book. Willy's One-derful rub. It's pretty Paprika heavy and then salt, cracked pepper, sugar, garlic powder & cayenne. It tasted pretty good to us.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

-andy

Also - I measured the temperature with the semi-useful Maverick dual probe thermometer. -andy[/QUOTE]

"semi- useful"?!
My Maverick ET-73 just came today. Anything i should be aware of ?

Fritz -

I've had the Maverick ET-73 for a couple of years. As near as I know, it's the only dual probe on the market, so it has that going for it. Now the not so good. First, the on/off switch broke within the first two months. The local BBQ shop replaced it, but it broke again, so I've just made do by pulling out the battery. Also, the range is way less than advertised. As in, it goes through a nearby window, but that's it. I can live with it, but I hope something better comes along.

well, only smoke a hand full of times a year. maybe it will last longer, I hope.

Back