First brisket on the 18.5

Steve Liguori

Just want say thanks to everyone and note what a joy it is to cook on the 18.5" WSM. It held steady between 270 and 290 through the whole cook. Wow!

This was for my youngest girl's birthday dinner. It was a 5.5-pound flat with Worcestershire sauce and Montreal Steak seasoning rub.

Good-looking brisket Steve. I bet that'll make some great sandwiches. If there's any leftover...

Can't argue with those results, Steve. I wish my parents made smoked brisket for my birthdays when I was a kid. What species of wood did you use?

How long did it take and how much charcoal did you start with? Also I am curious at the 270-290 temp range did you use water or not. Thanks

Thanks, all!

The charcoal ring was maybe 2/3-3/4 full, spread evenly, and I fired it up with about 25 lit over the top.

I used hickory for the wood, a couple of chunks to start off with and a couple more about an hour in when I flipped the meat.

It took about 3 hours to get to 160 internal, then I put it in foil for another 1.5 or so. The temp showed 203 internal after about an hour in the foil but it wasn't probe tender throughout so I put it back on for another half hour.

I could be in trouble though. My daughter thinks we should do this every week now! Keith, I may have to start delivering to keep up with the ridiculous cost of meat!! :)

Thanks again!!

Back