First Brisket of 2005!

Looks great Larry. I haven't had one yet that I thought was really great. Tender, but dry. I'll have to try the foil next time. I also took the temp higher than that. Will try pulling at 180-185 like you did and then foil instead of the 195 I have done. Looking at your pics, I'm wishing I had brisket on instead of the picnic I have on now lol.

Thanks for the compliment guys!

Bob,
I've always pulled my briskets off the cooker at 180*, foiled and let rest in a dry preheated cooler. But this is the first time I've foiled one during the smoke. Other than speeding up the cook, couldn't tell much difference between foiling vs. not foiling.

Larry:
For some reason, I've been hesitant to smoke a brisket. I've smoked hams, ribs, chickens, chuck roast, arm roasts, etc... but not a brisket. After seeing those photos, I'm going to have to give it a try.

From looking at you second photo, it appears as though you have mounted a large clock on the inside of your WSM's lid.
icon_eek.gif
I know this isn't the case, but it looks like it to me.

One question:
How do you slice your brisket so thin?

Thanks and good eating.

Wow looks better than the one I did yesterday. Mine came out a little dry.
I pulled it at 190 and foiled. I'm gunna try 180 next time. Thanks Larry

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">One question:
How do you slice your brisket so thin? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill, I use a serraded bread knife to slice all of my meat. Works great. I do have a clock mounted to the inside of the lid!
icon_wink.gif

Larry:
Thanks for the tip on using a bread knife.

I just noticed you're a Skins fan. I'm more into college football than pro football. Being a Clemson grad, I hope your former coach (Steve "visor" Spurrier) has as much success at the University of South Carolina as he did at Washington.

Bill "Go Tigers"

Bill thinks your brisket is sliced thin, I think it's sliced thick---lol! Who's right?

Larry, I think you'd better send a few slices of that over here so I can inspect it.

Hey Larry,

Nice lookin hunk of beef!!
How long did you smoke the sausage?
I was just in your neck of the woods, if I'd known,I would have brought the Red Wine!!!

Cheers

Bill M:

Go ahead and try a brisket. Do not let the reputed difficulty of working with briskets scare you off. Just follow Jim Minion's advice (cook with fat cap down; rest with fat cap up) and take you time. (So far I have smoked a few flats and they were Great! (good is good; bad is bad, and the worst I ever had was just wonderful).

One thing that I saw at a competition was the use of an electric knife for slicing brisket. You can get a really nice, striaight, clean cut with one. I found the one that my parents gave us about 30 years ago and it still does the trick.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve (Merc) McMurtry:
Hey Larry,

Nice lookin hunk of beef!!
How long did you smoke the sausage?
I was just in your neck of the woods, if I'd known,I would have brought the Red Wine!!!

Cheers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Steve! Cooked the sausage for about 2 hours, at 225*.....perfect. I will definitely do them alot for now on.

Many say 160 is a good point to foil, if you choose that method. Kevin Taylor (Stogie) has some excellent, detailed posts on this method.

Good luck.

Paul

Back