First Brisket just started

Don N

0800 started a 4 lb trimmed USDA select Brisket. Used the blow torch method to start the coals, as I still need to purchase a chimney. Put the brisket on fat side down and used a dry rum on the other side. I will keep you all posted. The WSM was not quite up to temp when I put the meat on. But the blow torch method results in the same thing as the the minon method depending on where you hold the torch.

I am now at meat temps of 160 - 180, I just flipped the brisket so it is fat side up. I hope that was the right call. Is is correct that the internal temp should be around 205 when it is done?

The brisket is done when you stick a probe in it and it's real tender. I never flipped a brisket but I'm far from an expert on them.

I've cooked them fat up and fat down and never really noticed much of a difference. Start probing for done at about 190-195. There is no set temp for when a brisket is done. check every 15-20 minutes and you'll know when it's done when the probe slides in nice and easy

The results were/are very good. I am surprised at how easy the WSM is to use compared to my old offset. I think I cooked the brisket maybe a little too long, flipping it was probably a mistake as I think i lost some of the taste of the rub as a result. In Summary
4lb brisket trimmed, rub on one side Trimmed side, Cooked fat side down for about 5 hrs, at 225 - 250, finished for 1.5 hours at 275 fat side up. Used about 6 - 8 lbs charcoal, and 4 chunks of hickory (baseball size-ish). rub from a local BBQ guy.

Just curious why you think you cooked it to long?
If it was still a little tough and dry you didn't cook it long enough. If it fell apart or kind of crumbled when you tried to cut it then you overcooked it.

After 5 hours I doubt you would have lost much of the rub after flipping, most of the fat would just drip off the sides of the brisket.

It seemed a little dry, so maybe I did not cook it long enough, hmmm? I got some learning to do. I would have rated the brisket as 7.5/10. About the rub I probably did not use enough.

It's a common mistake to under cook. It took me a long time to mentally get over my fear of cooking beef beyond medium so I turned out a few dry tough pieces of brisket. Once I forced myself to wait and let the probe tell me when it was done I started turning out some pretty good stuff.

Also letting it rest before cutting is very important. I usually let it sit tented with foil for 1/2 an hour before slicing. You can turn some great brisket into dry tasteless brisket if you slice to early.

Back