First Brisket - HH method

Jason U

TVWBB Member
Living in Buffalo, when you get a 55 degree day in last November, you take that opportunity to smoke.

So I decided to try my first brisket. Unfortunately my local wholesale club is in a busy part of town I didn't want to deal with the traffic, so I settled on a 7 pound brisket from the super market. It was Choice cut so probably more expensive than I would have cared for, but oh well.

I fired up the smoker and put on 1 chunk hickory and 3 chunks apple. I couldn't get the smoker up to 325-375 at first, it was topping out at 300 even with all vents open and the door inverted and propped open.

I figured this wasn't so much an issue because this was a lighter brisket. I did end up adding some more coals and that got the temps up to between 325-350. At the 2.5 hour mark the temp registered 165 so I put it in a foil pan and sealed it off. Another 1.5 hours later I decided to prong it and pulled it off and let it rest for 45 minutes.

It was pretty tender and juicier in some parts than others, but I was a bit disappointed in the lack of smoke flavor and smoke ring. There was a definitely pronounced ring in certain parts (I think the thinner parts of the flat). I thought 4 chunks of smoke wood (these were at least tennis ball size) would have been plenty. Maybe I should have gone 2 hickory and 2 apple.

I made the No. 5 sauce which was phenomenal by the way.

BTW, I tweaked the rub a little bit...I know sugar was crossed off by I ended up adding 2 table spoons of turbinado sugar (not an issue as my temps couldn't get high) and used kosher salt and granulated garlic instead of garlic salt.

Any ideas on how I can improve my high heat brisket?

This might be a bit too much but prop a desk fan near the open door and try to regulate that way? Go through a lot more fuel that way.

Then again, it might have just been the (brand of) briqs you used. Some have had issues with how certain brands burn.

I'd be careful with too much wood though. You can always add more (the next time) but you can't get rid of it once it's done.

Sorry, butt...
e-needpics.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stefan B:
Sorry, butt...
e-needpics.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
So funny Stefan...
icon_biggrin.gif

Jason, four chunks of wood sounds like plenty. You don't want to overdo the smoke and mask the rub flavors. It's hard to give advice on this one without tasting. Don't worry about the smoke ring; it means nothing in terms of flavor, correct technique, etc. ( I never seem to get much of smoke ring.) If the brisket is lacking flavor, bump up the rub. Add a light dusting a couple times during the smoking process. That'll perk up the flavors. Just be careful if your rub has salt; don't over-salt. All in all, a success. It'll get better with experience. Well done!

Jason U, Welcome. How much coal did you start with in the ring? I go full and reuse the leftovers. Gives a lot of wiggle room with temps at 55*.

Just my .02
wsmsmile8gm.gif

One full chimney of kingsford blue and then 3/4 chimney lit dumped on top of that and spread evenly. Empty water pan.

Jason, the apple wood is the reason for your lack of smoke flavor, IMO. Apple is very mild. Try some mesquite with your next brisket.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steven P (Tupelo):
Jason, the apple wood is the reason for your lack of smoke flavor, IMO. Apple is very mild. Try some mesquite with your next brisket. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sorry to add my addition $.02 here. Easy on the mesquite, imho. Too much of it can give a bitter, acrid taste. I've done it.
icon_frown.gif

Just had this as leftovers and I guess the smoke ring is a little more pronounced tonight. I still think the apple wood was too light for this cut. I think my other mistake was not letting the rub sit on the meat overnight. I only applied the rub an hour before smoking.

UhPui.jpg

Hid4L.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think my other mistake was not letting the rub sit on the meat overnight. I only applied the rub an hour before smoking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Overnight rub won't add more flavor; many of us here only add the rub shortly before smoking...

Back