First brisket EVER, in real time. Hope it's edible....

Alyssa H

TVWBB Member
Howdy,

It's been awhile since I've been here. Was hoping to do lots of smoking this summer but with the kids being home all day, it's just not working out. Today I m going to do my first brisket and I'm sure I ill need some help long the way.

I bought a 10lb brisket and trimmed the fat. I also cut it into two pieces because I m hoping to cut the cook time down. Am having some family guinea pigs over for dinner and need to eat around 5:00. It is rubbed and went on the smoker at 6:00am. Am planning to go hot and fast, a la Myron Mixon. Low and slow was just going to take too long and I have been wanting to experiment with that method anyway. It's taking forever for the bullet to get to 350 though. It had better hurry up and stabilize because I need to take the kids to golf camp and will be gone about 30 min. I'm a little nervous about leaving it lit while I'm gone.

Stay tuned any any advice is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,
Alyssa

Should I have waited until the smoker reached target temp of 350 to put the meat on? I put it on when the temp was 250 and then changed my low and slow plan to hot and fast.

I watch too much BBQ Pitmasters and am becoming obsessive. Ugh.

Just found a link to a very helpful post. Maybe shouldn't have used water in the pan. Oh well....

No water is the way to go for a high heat on the WSM. I think your fine by putting the meat on before getting your WSM up to temp...

Cutting it in half won't change the cook time much but foiling at 160 will get you through the stall. As long as your cooker isn't on a wood deck or dry grass I wouldn't worry about leaving it alone for awhile.

I guess there's no getting the water out now. :) I'm back from the golf course and the house is still standing and is not on fire. The water level must be getting lower because we're up to 343 now. The meat says 170. Have a maverick and also checked with the Thermapen. The meat hasn't even been on for two hours yet. Should I wrap already???

WTH? The thermometers say the meat is 212! And it's still tough. Probe does not slide in and out easily. Guess i just forget about the thermometers and wait until the probe goes through like butter, right?

Back