First Brisket advice

Joe Tacoma

TVWBB Member
I have done 15+ cooks on my 18.5 now but have not attempted a brisket yet. I feel like it is time I try cooking a brisket but I don't want to start off with a full packer or something too small. I am thinking about starting off with an 8lb brisket and would like some advice. Should I go with the flat or the point and does it make a difference? What temp should I cook a cut of this size? What is the time estimate for this cook? Any techniques that might help?

Probably the easiest to get would be a brisket flat. I normally cook a full packer at 225* but have been considering slightly higher maybe 250* to 265*. I have always foiled at the stall (about 165* or when the bark is set). I don't worry about final temp as I check for tender starting at about 185* (for prime packer) to 195* (for choice packer) and check every 30 minutes until tender. When you pull from the smoker, let rest on counter unwrapped until temp falls to about 170*. Then double foil tightly and place in a cooler wrapped in towels for a few hours. Good luck and enjoy the great flavor.

My first brisket was a full packer. I've done flats since then too. For me the flats are were trickier to cook. Maybe because they are so lean compared to the packer.

Nice thing about the packer is this size of the cut, means at least some parts will always be good. Plus the moist point helps keep the whole packer moist. I've had better luck with packers.

Each time you cook you learn something - how much fuel, hot or real hot start to cook, what temp to maintain over the cook, when to foil or not foil, etc.

Go for it and learn each time.

And remember this, BBQ is about having fun. Even if the results are not great, just have fun doing it and know it will get better with practice.

Thanks Fellas,

I am going to use red wood chunks when I cook the brisket. Would types of wood have you guys used?

Here's my two cents: Since you have WSM experience, pick at target temp between 225 and 275 and try to maintain it. Don't get complicated for your first brisket -- throw it on, don't mess with it, take it off when it probes tender. Keep a log for future reference.

Of great importance to brisket is the resting period. When you take it off, sit it on the counter unwrapped until the temp drops to about 170. Wrap it tightly in foil and put it in a cooler with a blanket or towels for additional insulation. Rest it for at least two hours.

Jeff

my vote goes for a full packer...I've done maybe a half dozen. I like the way choice tastes over select. Haven't been able to buy Prime yet but one day will

If you don't have that many eaters, buy a smaller one. About 12 lbs. is the smallest packers I see in stores and I usually buy my choice packers from Wal-Mart

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.
Never rely on the glory of the morning nor the smiles of your mother-in-law.
-- Japanese Proverb

Don't expect miracles (if they do on a first brisket - it's probably accidental...)
I was at about the same point as you when I tried my first Brisket. I've done a few since then and am getting better at it, but I still have a way to go before I will be at the point of being consistent and satisfied with my results. For some reason, brisket has been a bit "tricky" for me (maybe because I never seem to get the same size / cut / amount of fat cap on consecutive cooks...:confused:)

For a first go - I would keep the rub simple. I'm partial to 50/50 Kosher Salt / coarse cracked pepper
Wood = oak, plus maybe a bit of hickory or apple

Be sure to compensate cooking time and temp for the size and cut of meat that you get - just a flat will typically cook faster.
Bottom line = (Yogi Berra in 'Cue terms, "It's done when it's done...") Use temperature to "ballpark" it, then check with a probe / pick. When it's tender, take it off and rest it like the others have said.

If it comes out a bit too dry - slice it thin and make some sandwiches with a little horsey mayo or whatever sauce you like to add a little moisture. Or you can cube it up and simmer the chunks in some sauce or make something else with it like chili. Don't be afraid to make mistakes and roll with the punches if it don't turn out like you envisioned...

IMHO, DO NOT USE RED WOOD!! It is a soft wood conifur like pine, cedar, spruce, etc., and will leave a resinous bitter flavor. I only use hard woods, berry or nut bearing, never cones. Apple, alder, cherry, hickory, oak pecan,etc. Apple with a little oak will produce a swet, mild, delicious result .

I echo what everyone else has said. I noticed a huge difference when I started letting it cool 170, then wrapping and resting it in a cooler for two or three hours.

Regarding the redwood, GB Adams has it right. Redwood is a conifer, and that is definitely not good for smoking food. Chris has a great page about wood on the virtual Weber Bullet: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/woods.html. Redwood is listed as one of the ones to avoid.

Personally I like apple and oak for brisket.

Good luck with yours! Keep if fun.

Thanks for the advice guys. I have not gotten around to the brisket yet and wont for atleast another week or 2 at the soonest.

My mistake about saying I was going to use red wood. I meant to say Red Oak wood is what I will be using. Big difference between the 2 woods right? GB thanks for letting me know.

Back