First Brisket, a couple questions

Dave K

TVWBB Pro
I am doing my first briskey today using Chris G. recipe from April 28 2004. Just a couple questions. Istarted out with a 9 1/2 lb brisket, marinated overnight. I rubbed it this morn, and lit the smoker at 6 am. Meat was on by 6:30. Chris says to put the meat on the bottom rack, and cook at 210* If I am at 225 at the lid, is this hot enough, I have never used the bottom rack before. As well, do you think that this would be ready for supper tonight? He also says to cook for an hour per pound, foil for four hours, and cook unfoiled for two more hours on the top rack. Would I cook for 10 hours, foil for four, and then two more, or cook for four, foil for four, and cook for two? Any help is appreciated
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Dave,

I don't think I'm familiar with Chris G's recipe, so I can't directly comment on that. If you have a link to it, it may be helpful to provide it.
Temp-wise, if you want to cook on the bottom rack, then, yes, you're probably in the ballpark if lid temps are about 225. I don't see why you couldn't cook it on the top rack, especially if you have nothing else in the smoker. Cooking it on the top rack will also make it easier to check on. Personally , I would go a little higher like 235 if I was going the low and slow method, but the lower temp may be for the foiling that Chris recommends. The distance between the 2 racks shouldn't make any difference in the finished product. As far as being "ready for supper tonight", that depends. A brisket is done when it's done. A 9.5 pounder should be done by about 6 - 6:30 especially if you plan to foil it for 4 hours. The foiling should speed things up. If you have a thermometer, keep an eye on the internal temp; check the temp in the flat (flat being somewhat rectangular end as opposed to the rounded end) not the point. When the meat gets to about 185, it should be done, BUT and it's a big BUT, you need to check for tenderness. Temps don't matter if the meat is still tough. Using a probe, fork, etc., poke the flat. If if goes in like a hot knife into butter; your brisket is done. If there's resistance, let it cook a little longer (10 mins) then check again. A jello-like jiggle also is a good indicator that the brisket is done. Don't keep it on the smoker if it's done; you'll only dry out the meat. Wrap it in foil for at least 15 mins then slice and serve. Let us know how it's going.

Paul

The recipe that I am using is under the beef recipes section. I would put a link to it if I knew how, my computer literacy skills are quite low. As well, should I foil after 4 hours, or after nine and a half?

Hey Dave,

This might sound a little terse, so please don't take it that way, but trust your gut. Its not complicated...heat, meat, cooking...it'll get done.

There are many approaches that use foil or not. You're choosing to use foil, thats great. Here are a couple of thoughts:

1) Don't be afraid to let that dome temp creep to 250° or more. 210° (translates to a 225-230 dome) is low. Don't fret about temperatures too much...the cooker will hold temp very well.

2) when to foil #1: when the internal temperature reaches approximately 170°-175°. This seems to be a common bit of advice, and its worked fine for me. Double foil, add a little (1/2 cup) of beef stock, seal it up and let it go unil a temperature of ~200°

3) when to foil #2: purely time based...this is a more experience based approach and one frankly that should be reserved until after you've cooked several briskets and are starting with a consistent product.

If it gets to be 4:00 and it seems like its not coming to temp...and you want to eat brisket today, run the temperature up...especially if its in foil, to 300°. It just a hunk of meat and contrary to some philosophies, YOU are the cook and the boss, not the meat!!!

Have fun!!

I'd stick w/ the temperature based approach for the first cook. I also think you're going struggle a bit if you don't let the cooker get to a hight temperature. 250-260 dome temp would be my recommendation.

Dave,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> should I foil after 4 hours, or after nine and a half? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second Joey's recommendations. Foil to aid your cooking time if you think you'll need it. What time do you want to eat? From that time, work back 2.5 hours. 2 hours for foil, 30 mins for meat to rest. If you read through this procedure posted by Chris our host, you'll see that he allows about 2 hours of foiling at 300. The 300 can be done in the smoker (no water or clay saucers as you want a higher temp) or your oven. Also as Joey recommends and I stated in my 1st post, I'd go a little higher with your temps (try 235-250), 210 is pretty low. The lower your temps, the longer it will take.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">when to foil #1: when the internal temperature reaches approximately 170°-175°. This seems to be a common bit of advice, and its worked fine for me. Double foil, add a little (1/2 cup) of beef stock, seal it up and let it go unil a temperature of ~200° </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I foiled around 11:45, at 12:30 internal temp was 170. I'll leave it there till ~200. Should I put back on the smoker for a while then, or put it in a cooler and leave it till supper time? I also bumped up the temp to 250 lid temp

look for a tender brisket...it happens around 200, but might be 5 degrees above or below that.

when its done, wrap it in towels and put it in a dry cooler til dinner time.

So I foiled around noon, left it in the foil until 5:30. At that time, the temp of the smker was starting to drop, and so was the meat. It had reached 200 earlier, so I pulled it off the smoker, and put it in a pan with the lid on for half an hour. Sliced it up for supper, and served on buns. I have nothing else to compare to, but it turned out quite good.
icon_smile.gif

Back