First BEEF rib on WSM

Mike Hartwell

TVWBB Pro
Well, I finally found a decent looking rack of beef back ribs in one of our local stores.
Best part is that it was reduced in price. Previous owner couldn't deal with them , I guess.
Anyway, first issue was, I couldn't peel that #*&% pleura. I could get it started and get a good grip, then a postage stamp chunk would come loose, and that was it. I wound up just scoring, hoping to render some of the fat thriugh the cuts.
I rubbed it down pretty good with Pnzey's BBQ 3000, good stuff, that.
It was onth WSM at 230-240 for about 5 1/2 hours, basted (something I rartely do) at three and 4 1/2 hours in. I used a big chunk of hickory, and 2 smaller of cherry.
At that point they probed tender, so I rested them while I got the biscuits on.
Result:
DSCF0604.JPG

The meat was quite good, tnder and smokey. A little too much fat left, but they went down well.
Thanks for letting me vent.

Looks good to me Mike! Jim Lampe is the local beef rib expert, but I've had some luck taking a butter knife under the membrane to loosen it a little bit.

I love Dino bones! You know I had an award winning pit master from Texas tell me that he never peels the membrane on beef ribs... only on pork. I looked at him kinda of funny and questioned him on it... and he pointed to all his trophies and ribbons in his display case... sorda made his point I guess.

I've done them both ways many times.. but I haven't pulled it off my beef ribs in about 3 years since meeting him.

I tell you what though... those look like they came out fantastic!

Back