First Beef Brisket cook next weekend

Steve W in NC

TVWBB Member
I'm having four neighbor couples over for a BBQ next weekend and plan to cook one or two pork butts on top and a beef brisket on the bottom. I checked Sam's this week and they only had half flats. Plenty of butts in stock. So do I do two half flats or look elsewhere for a whole one? I'm assuming the half flats will take less time to cook. I plan to use the Texas BBQ rub I ordered online for the rub. Advice please from you experienced BBQers.

Although plenty here on the board will cook flats only I like whole packers. I believe the additional fat between the point and flat really make a difference. My advice would be to keep looking elsewhere (maybe Walmart) for a whole brisket. If you do not find one you can always go with the flats as a last resort.
Just my opinion, I could be wrong!

I'd look elsewhere. When you say a whole one, are you saying a whole packer brisket or just a larger piece of flat? Those half flats are typically way over trimmed and therefore not quite the candidates for smoking as a full packer or a whole 7-8 lb flat with decent fat. I am one of those who only smokes flats, just because my wife and I don't like the fattier point meat, JMO, however I find very nice flats with adequate fat caps at BJ's. If no BJ's near you, they are available at other stores as well

Steve, believe we may have a terminology problem here. Are you pretty sure it is a half of a flat and not the flat half of a brisket packer. The other piece being the point. Not a Sams shopper but I have only seen packers and whole flats sold around here. Some high end groceries have speciality cuts for unique cooking purposes though. I think you were looking at whole flats. What was the weight, do you remember?

I don't recall the exact weight but it was about six pounds. That sounded about right to me since the whoele weight would be over 12 pounds. The label specifically said "half flat". That I do remember. I did also see a huge (15 pounder) at Wal Mart last week too. I wish I had gone ahead and bought it. That is water over the dam as they say.

Back