First BBQ going good

Tanner H.

TVWBB Member
Hi guys,
Im new to the forum Great stuff on here. I seasoned my brand new WSM 22.5 with some bacon last night. Today I am doing a Butt and some ribs for dinner. Butt is on now and going great WSM holding a 255 degree temp.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Sounds good! Do you use water in the pan?

Might try to choke her down a bit. If your plan dont counts on the 255f cooking time. Not like there is anything wrong with 255 for a butt cook.

The WSM often runns hot the first few cooks. Good luck with everything and report back!

Well I have heard that the WSM cooks a lil hot the first few rounds. I have all vents closed right now except the top vent is open and temp keeps going up It is 262 right now. I was planning on keeping it aroun 250 Is 250 to 265 range to high tems still going up. What else can I do to cool it down???

She is going down now At 255. I guess you have to watch her pretty close on the first couple cookings. Gong to put ribs on at 1:00

Well Dont let her sink to low. Then the fire would be out. I would open 1 vent 15%%. Wait 30 min and check temps. I Bet your Butt will turn out great if you just pull it when its tender enough. And it could be cooked @ 300 and still be good.(if your rub isent heavy on sugar) But if you have all lower closed,and wait for the temp to be in the low 200 and think you can open up a vent... It can be tricky...And the fire could be out. I know that my WSM(22,5") dident put itself out with the lower vents shut(first cooks).

And if you use water add ice...Or Really cold water to get the temps down.

Keep an eye on her. Dont wanna make it harder then it needs to be.

thanks so much for the advice!! I just added some cold water. It hasnt gotten ver 265 so I think im good.

This is the first butt I have smoked. Have some smoking experience with wild game on an El Cheapo smoker. Is there some place on here that can walk me through the steps of finishing the Butt. I guess I was planning on wrapping it towards the end. I just am not sure when or at what temp and for how long?

Count on just a little over an hour a pound at 255-260'F. I Would foil @ 150-160 when the stall hits.(stall = the temp could be the same/even drop for a few hours...But foiling will speed this up alot) Then when it hits 185-190 inner temp unfoil...Place it back on the smoker.(to firm the bark)

check for donness with your probe(should go in like butter when done...Any were around 190-205f inner temp.

Tanner,

Wolgast is right. When it is done and probe tender, you wrap in foil and let it rest for a while prior to pulling. At this point you can hold it in a cooler for a few hours if needed. I have also not taken it back out of the foil to firm up the bark and have not seen too much of a difference.

So how did the Butt turn out? And did you have any problem with temps?

Kevin: i was actually refering to foil it @ around 160f to speed up the stall. I had a few cold ones yesterday and for some reasson i thought that Tanner were in a hurry.(my brain under the influence is not always right)
icon_wink.gif

I have foiled or cooked in a pan(braised almost like the pepper stout beef) a few of my butts when i am short on time,with verry good resaults. The bark can suffer from this. Thats why another 40min-1h back on the smoker can help. And even the smoke tasty could be a bit mild.(i start with some extra wood if im gonna foil) But you gain Time,juice,tenderness.

After its pulled from the smoker Kevin is spot on with the resting.

Sorry for being a bit unclear.

Well....... the meat turned out great!!!!!!but..... I had a little hicup!!! and it took a whole lot longer than I anticipated. I will fill you in on my newbie mistake. at about 9 PM I realized the meat had hit the stall and also realized that I need to ad coals. Guess I didnt start out wuth enough to begin with. soooo... after being in the pool and a few cold ones later i decide I needed to add the coals. well when I went to lift the smoker off of the charcoal pan the water bowl shifted. some spiled in the charcoal pan and the rest wemt on the ground. so not only did I have to re start the charcoal I had to start with a new water. the meat sat off the heat for a while. once everything got back up and running things went smothly. I didnt reach 195 degrees until 3:10 AM. uuggghhh. But then it got wrapped rolled in a towl and then placed in a cooler. I got a few hour nap and then pulled it. It was absoulutly fantatic. Just a few newbie mistakes. Thanks for all the help. I should have checked back on here and wrapped it eakier to help speed thing up a bit thank you greatly for all of the advice. I am going to go back at it again this weekend.

Back