First baby backs on the WSM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Clay

TVWBB Fan
Well these were my first ribs on the WSM. I've made ribs on other (cheap) smokers, in the oven, and on a gas grill. These were hands down the best ribs I've ever made and just about the best I've ever had. Got the ribs at Sam's and they were really thick on one end, more then usual. I cut the slabs so that I had the thick ends seperate. I fired up the smoker using the standard method with about a half full charcoal bowl. I placed the half slabs in a rib rack on the top grate and put hot water in the pan. The temp was about 325 at the beginning but I was able to get the temp down to 250 when I put the ribs on. From that point the temp was steady at 230 to 245. After 5 hours I took the smaller ends out and left the thicker ends in and opened all of the vents. The temp went up to about 300 and I left those in for another 30 minutes. Used Oak and Pecan to smoke. Final product was sweet and falling apart with a 1/4 inch smoke ring. I also mopped them with my own double nickel mop sauce. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I just finished registering so I could post a question. I go to the beginners forum and the top message is from J. Clay. I just registered as Clay J and for a bit I wondered how I'd posted without meaning to, and how I'd posted about ribs that I'd never cooked.

Anyway, sounds like you had a great first cook. I hope I can duplicate the sucess once I figure out some of my difficulties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back