First Baby Backs on New 22.5 WSM

MickHLR

TVWBB Fan
Mmmm!! Who doesn't like a good rack of baby backs? Ialways had problems doing baby backs on my stick burner, as I could just never get the temp to stay low enough. So, I usually always smoked spare ribs, so I wouldn’t dry them out. Now, with the WSM being able to stay right at 225* and using the water pan, I was able to smoke the best baby backs I’ve ever done. Personally, I like my pork ribs sweet. So, I smoked them at 225* for 2 hours, took them off & wrapped in foil with honey, butter, and brown sugar on both sides, then back on the WSM for 2 more hours. Then, I pulled them out of the foil, added a little barbecue sauce, and put back on the WSM for another 25-30 min on each side to glaze them.

And, personally, I like to cut each rack in half before I smoke them, because when I serve them I don’t serve them by the rib, as most people do…everyone gets a half rack. And, you don’t need a knife to cut each bone off the rack, they will be so tender that each bone will pull right off the rack with ease. I also serve them on butcher paper on a tray, like a lot of Texas barbecue joints do. Just makes it easy.

The pic below is when I first put them on the smoker…at noon. The color is just from the rub.

IMG_7719_zpsmii3y1r0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

After two hours, I brought them in and put honey, brown sugar and butter (or margarine) on each side to keep them moist and add the sweetness I like on pork ribs. Then wrapped them tight in foil and back on the WSM for two more hours.

IMG_7723_zps2ospmtki.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_7726_zpsn5hsuppw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

After 2 more hours on the WSM, I unwrapped them and put a coat of barbecue sauce on them. All that melted honey, butter, and brown sugar keeps them moist and you will have a lot of liquid in the foil when you take them off the WSM to unwrap.

IMG_7728_zpsml3e6qoj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Coated with barbecue sauce and ready to go back on the smoker for an hour to glaze.

IMG_7730_zpsths8u9g1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back on the WSM, about 20-30 minutes on each side to glaze.

[/IMG]

Can’t tell by the pics, but they were very tender and juicy...best baby backs I've ever cooked. And, I owe it all to the 22.5 WSM. I've been smoking meat for 35 years, gone through a lot of smokers through the years...and this WSM by-far the best, and easiest, smoker I've ever owned. Don't know why I didn't buy one years ago. I have to admit, I just didn't believe all the hype. But, I'm telling everybody I know...and have already sold 3 to relatives. My son and son-in-law both are getting rid of their stick burners, and going to a WSM. And, my brother-in-law has never owned a smoker...always said he didn't have time to baby-sit one. But, with the WSM basically being a put it on and leave it alone smoker, he said he has time for that. :wsm:

IMG_7736_zpsfbfstn3p.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Looks damn good. I did some last week for my first smoke and they came out great.
I'm following your lead and doing a butt this weekend.

Keep up the good work, you make me want to get out in the yard.

I cooked pork spare ribs yesterday on my 22.5 WSM and they came out great too. It was only my 4th time using it. You aren't kidding, it holds temperature perfectly. It was a little windy yesterday and it barely budged. It flucuated about 10 degrees throughout the cook. I modified the 3-2-1 to a 3-1.25-1.25 using similar ingredients. I want to try the butter the next go around. I like how you cut the ribs in half too.

I've been seeing a lot of that foiled with butter, I need to try that out! Looks absolutely delicious Mick. Thanks for sharing!

Nice job Mick! Glad to see you're enjoying your WSM.

Sometimes it's nice to play with fire in a stickburner when you have time but sometimes it's nice to have a set it and forget it smoker :cool:

Those bones look reaaly good!
I like the idea to serve 1/2 rack of pork ribs!

Thanks Enrico! That's how we roll in Texas...you want a rack or a half rack? We don't mess those individual bones. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Looks damn good. I did some last week for my first smoke and they came out great.
I'm following your lead and doing a butt this weekend.

Keep up the good work, you make me want to get out in the yard.

Thanks Bruno! The overnight butt I did on this new WSM was the best and easiest one I've ever cooked. Have fun!!

I cooked pork spare ribs yesterday on my 22.5 WSM and they came out great too. It was only my 4th time using it. You aren't kidding, it holds temperature perfectly. It was a little windy yesterday and it barely budged. It flucuated about 10 degrees throughout the cook. I modified the 3-2-1 to a 3-1.25-1.25 using similar ingredients. I want to try the butter the next go around. I like how you cut the ribs in half too.

Thanks Jason! Glad yours turned out well. After 35 years smoking meat on stick burners, I'm just amazed at how easy everything is on the WSM. It is an amazing smoker.

Cutting the ribs in half is just a habit for me. Started doing that years ago...mainly to make those racks weight less and easier to pick up without breaking them with my meat hook. And, it makes it easier to serve after they're ready, as I don't mess around with individual ribs...you get at least a half rack at my house. :wsm:

I've been seeing a lot of that foiled with butter, I need to try that out! Looks absolutely delicious Mick. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Myk! I actually saw that on a Barbecue Pitmasters about 5-6 years ago. Johnny Trigg, the Texas Rib King, did that and won the show I watched, so I thought I'd try it. Been doing it ever since. I used to actually like my pork ribs better with a Memphis-style dry rub, and always cooked them unfoiled. Now, I do them like this every time. I just love the sweetness and moistness it gives the ribs.

Nice job Mick! Glad to see you're enjoying your WSM.

Sometimes it's nice to play with fire in a stickburner when you have time but sometimes it's nice to have a set it and forget it smoker :cool:

Thanks Justin...I'm not enjoying it, I'm in love with it!! LOL!!

After a month smoking on this WSM, I sold my Old Country Wrangler stick burner, and will never look back. Once I saw I could get the same quality of smoked meat, with no fuss whatsoever, I was sold. And, I just couldn't see myself ever using that stick burner again. So, I ran a Craig's List ad, and sold it immediately, along with a Weber Genesis propane grill that I never used once I got the 26.75" Weber kettle. I went from 6 cookers/smokers/grills on my patio, to 2, and am loving it. There's nothing I can't cook on the 22.5 WSM or the 26.75 Kettle.

Mick, I also have a 22.5 and LOVE it! I have done several cooks over the past few months, but I have a question. When you keep your smoker at 225, where are you setting your vents? I still run 250+ at my grate even with my vents at 75% shut, but I'm afraid to shut them more and risk snuffing out my fire.

Back