First attempt with spares and rib tips

Grant Narita

TVWBB Fan
I have only tried baby backs but this Saturday I have two regular spare rib slabs which I will be trimming into St. Louis ribs. After I cut the rib tips part off and that other flap thing, can I just put rub on those just like ribs and throw them on the WSM for about the same time I have my ribs on?

Then after they are done I can then cut them into the rib tip pieces? I don't plan on making any beans or anything so was hoping to just make the rib tips just like the spare ribs, though i will foil the spares but not the rib tips.

Just wanted to make sure since I am having a couple people over and was hoping they would have both the ribs and rib tips to munch on.

I cook the rib tips at same time as the StL ribs. I rub up the flap meat and throw in a small alum pan. It's usually done before the ribs, in my experience.

okay... I wasn't sure since I heard the parts you trim off have a lot of muscle or gristle or whatever, so figured it might take longer to cook than the ribs... hoping those parts will be edible. Will put the same rub and sauce on that I put on the ribs...

Depends on your target temp, but the flap meat is boneless and will cook in no time, maybe an hour?
The tips are as long as the slab and usually take the same amount of time to cook as the racks unless you divide them into 3 or 4 equal pcs.
Make a 1 to 1/2" slice along the cartilage top and bottom and foil when you like the color, and they will take half the time.
Add some sauce and chop them into bite sized portions and your guests will have some great munchies.:wsm:

Tim

Back