First attempt....not very successful

Gil Rohde

Last weekend I was surprised by my wife with a 18.5" WSM as a Father's Day gift. Nice surprise to say the least.

After assembling it, I immediately ran to the store to get charcoal, wood chunks, and baby back ribs. I then followed the Weber instructions. Not having a charcoal starter, I piled the recommended 50 briquettes in a pyramid and lit them. When they were ashy I spread them out, plopped on 4 chunks of hickory, and put on the rest of the WSM. Then I filled the water plan with cold water pretty much to the brim, put on the ribs, and closed her up. It was 70 degrees outside.

I was immediately getting great smoke, but the big problem was that I could not get the smoker hot enough. Initially when I first closed it up it read around 300, but it immediately dropped below 200 and levelled out about 170. I opened the bottom vents all the way and nothing would work. I waited for maybe an hour thinking it would rise but it never did regardless of what I did with the vents. I also checked with an instant read thermometer and the Weber thermo was quite accurate.

I decided it needed more charcoal so I added about 12 and waited some more and no rise. I added some more coal and the same thing. Then I did some checking online and decided I probably had too much water, so I bailed out a bunch of water which helped a little but still under 200.

So I kept adding more coal and also added a few more wood chunks. By having the bottom vents and the side door open it would go up and when it reach 275 I would close the door and it would just drop back below 200 in about 10-15 minutes. Finally after hours of frustration and cycling between adding coal, letting the temp go up with the door open, closing it and having it drop back down, something happened and it leveled out at 250 and stayed there for the last hour. This was about 4 hours in.

In total I cooked them about 5.5 hours - longer than should be needed for baby backs because I knew the temp was too low most of the time. Also I had the top vents closed some of the time before reading you shouldn't do that so they were over smoked bordering on unpleasant tasting. They were also in the end not cooked enough so it was very hard to pull them apart by hand.

Luckily now I found this site so my next attempt should be greatly improved. This is what I think I did wrong but please give my additional suggestions:

1) Use more charcoal and start with a chimney starter having additional unlit charcoal in smoker.
2) Don't fill the water pan all the way up and maybe use hot water.
3) Let the smoker get to the proper temperature before adding the meat.
4) Use 3-4 chunks of wood and don't add more. Also use some milder wood for baby backs - all hickory seemed a bit strong.
5) Keep the top vents fully open the entire time.

Gil –
Your 5 points will certainly help you get on the right track. I’d add something on the chimney – the coals that you start in the chimney are going to be jet engine hot. A – be careful. B – pour ‘em on the unlit pile in the WSM and your temp will come up rather quickly. So I usually start with all vents 100% and cut to 1 vent closed, 2 vents 25% or less as soon as I hit 200. If it is rising fast, I’ll close even further and eventually – if I am shooting for around 225-250, I’ll just have 1 or 2 vents cracked, maybe 10%.

Good luck!

Hi Gil and welcome to the forum !

1) indeed get a chimney starter and use the minion method ... i always fill the chamber 3/4 full then i start a 3/4 full chimney that i had to the unlit coals. I then put wood chucks on top of that.

2) with ribs i usually use water to help with the temp but i use hot water ... about 1 gallon ... at the end there is no more water but that's not an issue

3) once i put the lit coal on top of the unlit ones, i assemble and put the meat right away ... in 20-30 minutes max the WSM will be at 225-250 ...

4) i always use maple since it is easy to get around here but the choice is yours

5) my top vents is always fully open ... in the winter i even let the 3 bottom vents fully open ... in the summer i might close 2 and the third one at 50 % ...

Welcome Gil!
1) Correct; it's always better to have more unlit briquettes (or lump) than you need. You can always use the unlit ones for another cook. When you close all vents, top and bottom, your WSM should snuff out the fire in about 45 mins.
2) Depends on how much meat you're loading on the WSM and what cooking temp you're aiming for. Remember the water you put in the bowl absorbs heat just like a raw chicken or slab of ribs would. They're both heat sinks. If you're loading top and bottom grates with cold meat you may not need any water. Many of us use the Minion Method to bring our WSM up to temp. It is a method of burning coals that gives you more control over the target temp; I highly recommend it. If you're after lower cooking temps; start with a full bowl; higher cooking temps - less water or maybe none at all.
3) Nope. IMO, add meat immediately after adding the lit charcoal to your ring. This way all factors are set; charcoal, water, meat and vents. Now you monitor the temps as they rise as this is much easier to adjust. Trying to bring temps down is much harder than bringing them up. The Minion Method is very helpful at this stage.
4) Wood flavor is subjective. Certain cuts like brisket and butts will handle a lot of smoke with no problem. Chicken and fish only need a little. A little to you is different than a little to me; my chunk is not the same size as your chunk...
icon_wink.gif
. But adding the wood does not affect the fire temp; it just smolders and produces smoke.
5) Yes.

With a little practice and some surfing this site you'll have the operation down in no time.

Paul

All good information and you will find after a few cooks what works best for you. Once it gets seasoned, you will find it to be alot more predictable.

For me, it's no water, and 15-20 lit added to the top of an unlit pile. 2 vents open to start, then two at 50%, then run with one just cracked to closed. Let her sing along at 260.

I am still surprised I wasn't able to get it close to the proper temperature using the standard Weber directions. Especially since it is supposed to run hot when new.

You have the new 18.5" WSM which has the larger deeper water pan (charcoal bowl from a SJ) than the older Wsm's like mine which use the lid from a SJ. I've read that the pan can touch the coals, and by using plenty of cold water that probably had something to do with the low temps.
You might want to switch to the Brinkman pan which gives more clearance.
Here's a link.

Tim

Gil...funny. Sounds like the same exact issues I was having too. Must be the morris county air (morris plains representing)

How long did you have the top vents closed for? That would definitely contribute to not being able to get up to temp.

Throw out the owners manual. Read Chris A's cooking topics. Baby backs at approx 250* take about 4 hours. Before pulling, test for tender by sticking a sharp object between two bones. The object, if the ribs are tender, will go through easily with little resistance. Start with at least a half ring of unlit. That will give enough heat, with the lit that you start with, to last a baby back cook. Some unburned charcoal can be used again or transferred to a grill. Get to know the Minion Method

Originally posted by paul h:
I think John hit your problem right on the head. Top vents should be open all the time

Ditto. That is directly involved in overall draft in the unit. I would look to that also and leave it open during your next cook, controlling the bottom vents as others have suggested.

Hang in there. The WSM is a great cooking/smoking tool.

Most time the first use has more problems with temps getting too high than not getting to temps, so you are in good shape IMHO.

Just need more practice with bottom vent control and proper minion and/or enough proper amount of lit on the start IMHO.

Keep the top vent open for now.

Good luck, you will get plenty of help here so you are in good hands.

I would just caution that you don't over-do the coals trying to reverse your first issue. "Over-correct" as it were.

The first two times I smoked, I had a horrible time getting the temp. DOWN. I finally got online and got to reading.

Bring it up slow and it'll hold it.

I am only 1 month into this great adventure myself but I need to say that you summed up everything at the end of your post. Follow those and enjoy good food.

Good Luck

Back