Not open for further replies.
G

Going to smoke:

One 7.60 lb "choice" grade brisket

One slab Beef Ribs

1 lb Fresh Kielbasa

1 lb Fresh Bratwurst

I'll fire her up around 8:00 am.

Will use some Hickory & Cherry wood chunks.

Cheers!!

Hi Rocky,

What type of Fresh Kielbasa do you purchase to smoke? Most of them I see in the store are already precooked and smoked. You sure most have a large family or a whole lot of friends, because that's a whole lotta food, many happy neighbors I'm sure. Well have fun smoking in the morning. Cya

Matt

Hey Rocky,
Sounds great! I especially like the bratwurst (and Italian dogs) on the wsm while I'm doing a butt or other long time cook. They go pretty quick, and provide a dandy snack. Here's what I do to keep from having to deal with the tough casing on the Brats: I put them in the freezer for a little while, and keep an eye on them so that they just get firm, not completely frozen. Take a sharp paring knife and slit the casing longways up the dog, and peel it off. Then, sprinkle the rub on it, and put them right on the cooker while still firm. I pull them off and sauce them at around 150? or so. Ummm Umm, yes, indeed. Good eats. They keep well in ziplock bags in the fridge. Heat in the microwave for about 10 seconds, turn over, and 10 more seconds for instant lunch.
Be sure to check them while cooking, they come up to temp pretty quickly.
I really like the Oak and Cherry combination too. Makes a really nice smoke. Good luck with the bbq.

Matt, Rocky's a pretty big boy! I'm sure he could put a fairly severe dent in that brisket by himself! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

LOL....yeah...I've been known to put away a fair amount of groceries. By the time that 7.60 lb brisket gets finished smoking, and I trim off the fat...it will probably weigh only about 4 lbs. (maybe less).

When I smoke larger amounts of meat, I break out the FoodSaver for most of the leftovers. That thing works great! The meat comes out of the freezer tasting like it just came off the pit. I vacuum-seal whole cooked chickens, whole slabs of ribs...or sometimes I cut the slab in half. I bust up a smoked pork butt into about 3 or 4 nice size chunks and seal that...and I separate the point from the flat after they are done and seal them whole. (if there's any left..lol).

The Kielbasa and Bratwurst I bought were not like the packaged/pre-cooked Hillshire Farms type. These look almost just like the Italian big links that Supermarkets make themselves and shoot into the natural casings. The Kielbasa isn't red like the ususal kind, and the Bratwurst isn't greyish-white like the usual deli-type. They look like they just ground up the fresh pork and mixed in the seasonings...and then shot it into 12" or so links that look almost like the fresh, sweet Italian sausage links. I've never tried these kind before, but they do look really good. I love the other kind too, with some good mustard on them. mmmmm

My dog Lester will have to get a snack too, he's my BBQ buddy....heh heh /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'll post a link to some pictures after I get them developed. Dang...I need to get a digital Camera.

Thanks everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back