$&@#%!!!!!! Firewalker — NOT!

BillSmith

TVWBB Pro
Got the WSM going for the first pork butt of the season. I like to walk barefoot around the house so I go outside with the pork butt and then I feel a sharp pain under the heel of my right foot. Aaaah - ouch! There was a small piece of hot charcoal in the grass that I stepped on.

Hopefully I was able to react quick enough so the damage is not too bad. I think the mistake I made is that I put the small pieces of charcoal from the last cook in the chimney starter instead of the WSM. So some pieces fell out I guess because they were small enough. Won’t make that mistake again. Only new briquettes go into the chimney starter.

The day is not going well. I spent 90 minutes looking for my container where I keep my thermometers and probes. Finally found them. The wife put the container inside another large container. Geez, why dire she have to move my stuff?

I also made a new rub today and just discovered that I used cumin seeds instead of celery seeds. Uggh.

Ouch!

I would recommend getting some Neosporin ointment and mix a dab with some of your favorite BBQ sauce, place on a gauze pad and use some athletic tape to the bottom of foot. ONLY KIDDING! Just trying to add some light-footed humour to a hot topic, I am not a doctor nor do I play one on the inter-webs.

Thanks for relating the tale of your foot foibles... I try to live vicariuosly through others' mishaps to avoid it in my circumstances. Your post is a good reminder for all of us. Get well!

That’s an awful accident! One I’ve not experienced thus far and I hope I never do.
I agree with the neosporin application but, be careful!

Been there, done that!
Another other one I've done is, while pouring out hot coals, some of the ash/smaller pieces fall out the bottom of the chimney on TOP of my bare feet! 🤕

Been there, done that!
Another other one I've done is, while pouring out hot coals, some of the ash/smaller pieces fall out the bottom of the chimney on TOP of my bare feet! 🤕
Uggh, not good. Will definitely take better precautions in the future.

The smoker was in the low 200s most of the day. I decided to head to my community garden plot at 4pm for a couple of hours. I tweaked the dampers just a tad more open. My friend stops by at 6pm to tell me that the thermometer is beeping and he tried to change the alarm to 300. Uh oh. I drove back home which is five minutes away. I see that the WSM is at 310 and the pork butt it’s at 209. Uh oh, that’sa bit done.

It was still good but on the dry side.

I’m doing ok. The foot is still a little tender in the area but I was able to walk and work just fine all day. I’ll see what it looks like in the morning

Sorry to hear about the mishap & other side effect of wedded bliss.

I'm about to get rid of all my chimneys. I've been putting fire starters right into the center of my 22" WSM's charcoal ring, surrounded by charcoal. It's not hard to do that way and the risk of dropping hot coals is almost zero..

My lovely bride usually doesn't hide stuff like that but she sure likes to put empty boxes right in front of my tool bench & most frequently used storage racks...

Back