Firebox spread blues

JeffWeber

My Weber NG Platinum II has a firebox that has spread, this model is from the late 90's. The grill grates will drop on the flavorizer bars, if they are not perfectly centered. The frame is rust free, flavorizer bars go in both directions and it came with a smoker box built in. Wondering what my options are, Weber said the firebox is no longer available. Any ideas to repair the box? I am attaching an image of the grill from the web.

http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/uploads/post-11070-0-46152700-1307155126.jpg

It looks like the grill head is leaning right in the photo. I think you have a republican grill LOL. Not sure what you mean by "spread". I have seen them warp though not what you're describing. The good thing is you can find any older 13 bar Genesis grill with a decent fire box and swap it in

I wish you were closer. I'm pretty sure I have one from that same model laying around.

If it has warped - I would try either of the following:

DRAW IT UP WITH SOME THREADED ROD:
Locate some threaded rod, or plain stainless rod & get it threaded
(maybe a local machine shop / metal fab guy can do this for you?)
Cut Rod to outside width of firebox, plus an inch or two.
Drill two holes at front & back of Firebox, just a bit below the Grate Level
Put some heavy stainless washers on the outside & a Cap Nut on the front (Maybe a thick one plus a wide "fender washer" to spread-out the load)
Tighten a normal stainless nut from the back side until the bowing is reduced (measure inside width, when it's close enough, stop tightening)
Cut the rod on the back to leave about 1/4-inch - then top it off with another Cap Nut
Once it collects a little crud, it should not leak air / hardly any

OPTION #2 = Watch your local Cragslist, find a newer used grill or one that you can use for parts

That picture is not my grill, just the same model.
The depth of the grill has grown(where the grates rest), maybe 1/4"-3/8" of an inch. If the grates are not exactly centered or you move the grates with a spatula, one end will fall down onto the flavorizer bars. Was thinking about using all thread and 4x4 boards to press the front and back together, but the permanent all thread is another idea. Not sure how much the box will move before breaking. Probably easier to find another box. Wonder what shipping to Virginia would run.

Yeah that aluminum gets very brittle with age and slightest bend will shatter it. If you use a heavy gauge plate as a backup to the bolt and nut heads to spread the load you might get away with it. Another idea is use some aluminum 1/4 or 1/2" stock and "extend" the "shelf" area the grates sit on. I am thinking about doing the same thing to my Wolf so I can use "shorter" easier to find grates in it over winter. Since it has very hard to find heavy cast iron grates that are REALLY spendy (like $65 each and needing 6 of them OUCH) that in winter I typically just shut the Wolf down and not use due to the PIA to keep the grates from rusting.
Best of luck on it

I think that LMichaels idea to use some aluminum strips would work or use aluminum angle pieces. Look for a metal/steel supply store and you may find some scraps or go to Home Depot or Lowes. You probably only need a couple of small pieces. This could hold you over permanently or until you find a replacement box on Craigslist.

Last edited:

Back