fire starter ????

J Rector

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello Everyone

I just found a fire stick at the local camping store.I was wondering if anybody had ever used these.They are mada buy a company called Coghlans.They say that they leave no odor and burn completely. They look like some kind of pressed wood and paraffin wax pressed together.I went to these because weber fire starters are unheard of around here and I wanted to get away from the smokey start up of the newspaper in my chimney.I'm hoping this will be a cheap alternative as they were only 1.59 for a pack of 12 sticks about 6in long.

Thanks for the replys
Jeff

Jeff - my guess is you got them at Wally World. That is what I have been using as well, for the same reason.

What I do is break that stick in 3 pieces, space them out across the bottom of the chimney grate. Then I carefully lay the first layer of charcoals on top of them (to prevent them from falling through or moving around). Then add however much more charcoal I need. Light from the bottom and before you can say "Bob's your uncle!) the briquetts are lit.

I think these (or the starter cubes) work much faster than newspaper, because they burn longer and start the bottom layer of coals sooner.

Easy to find, easy to use, cheap, and work as good (or better) than anything else I have I have tried. Good enough for me.

Hey Steve

Thanks for the resonse.I've really been looking for a cleaner way to start up. My newspaper delivery man knocked on my dooor one morning right after startup and asked if everything was alright
icon_rolleyes.gif
. After that i started thinking theres gotta be a better way.

Looks like ribs and butt this weekend
Jeff

I have not used that particular product but a similar one. Package states it is sawdust and wax. I break it in half and just use one portion. After you light it, just simply place the chimney with charcoal over it. I have never had a problem with just one part starting a chimney of coal.

I use what Skee describes. Particularly good with harder-to-light lump. Not that it matters but Weber's starters are non-existent down here as well; strange, since so many people here cook outside year round.

I've used a product called "Diamond Strike-A-Fire, the 12 minute match/firestarter in one". Thin strips of pressed sawdust/paraffin with a matchstick-type coating on one end that you strike on a strip on the outside of the plastic package. Light one, lay it on the charcoal grate, place the chimney on top of it, and away you go. Works great.

Regards,
Chris

I've used a lot of them, but have settled on the Weber Fire Starters or Texas Matchstick (like the Diamond Strike-A-Fire).

My question is I see some put it in the chimney and some under the chimney. I still put mine in the chimney, but does under it light the briquets? Will it light them from the height of the cone area under the chimney or do you put a brick/rock to elevate the height?

I've only been using the Weber cubes but when I give out will have to change because I can't find them locally. For the cubes I just put them on the charcoal grate, light them (one) and sit the chimney on top. That's how the chimney is designed to be used and I imagine it works best that way. With the other product, which I'm looking for, it might require some elevation ? However, Chris indicates otherwise.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Will it light them from the height of the cone area under the chimney or do you put a brick/rock to elevate the height? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Though not a scientist, I beleive the pricipal that allows you to place the firestarter on the grate is Conduction. Fire and heat rise heating the charcoal. I also think that's why a chimney design is able to light so fast.

The product that I use is the Diamond Strike-A-Fire. I break one of the sticks in half, place on the charcoal grate, light it and place the chimney with charcoal on top. Never had a problem with it lighting yet. I generally use Kingsford. I have never tried "lump" charcoal.

Jeff.just to chime in..I too use Weber cubes.

3 cubes on metal trash can lid for full chimney..
2 cubes for Minion Method with chimney propped on inverted lid edge to get better coverage from flames (coals stacked to one side)

They light in the wind,never had one go out..and are cheap too...

Back