fire ring made out of aluminum?

M Crooks

TVWBB Fan
I want to make a smaller fire ring for my 22 so I dont have to steal the one off my 18 when I cook ribs. I found some aluminum expanded metal that I can make work good. Question is it ok to use that to cook with? It will be getting very hot right next to the coals.

I have seen camp fires melt many an aluminum can, as well as the occasional aluminum lawn chair. Its melting point is 1220F whereas steel has a melting point closer to 2700F.

It may work for a short while or on very low heat cooks but it would probably deform or flat out melt.

Depends on the thickness or gauge. I've banked coals next to a disposable Alum pan and that works, but like Paul pointed out how long will it last?
Me, I would go with raw steel cause you know it will last for a long time.

Tim

I'm going to start making a bunch of mini-wsm kits and the hardest thing to source was the expanded metal for the charcoal rings. After choking at the insane prices the local stores wanted for a small section, I finally broke down and bought a full piece.

Yea, I don't follow the pricing on that stuff.
Couldn't you use an old big can from a warehouse store and drill some holes in it for a mini?

Tim

I'm going to start making a bunch of mini-wsm kits and the hardest thing to source was the expanded metal for the charcoal rings. After choking at the insane prices the local stores wanted for a small section, I finally broke down and bought a full piece.

How much was sheet? Where did you get it?

Do a Google search for "steel suppliers" in your area. You can probably find one that will sell you a half sheet for less than the cost of a small piece from the local hardware store. You may be able to have them shear it to the size you need but they're going to charge you for that.

You'll need to take a pair of heavy leather gloves or box of band-aids to handle it.

Back