Fire, No Fire

Bob Bass

TVWBB Gold Member
This morning Maryann (my better half) was getting the Weber 22" Kettle ready for cooking the last box of fresh Hatch Chilis. She was about to dump 2 full sized Weber chimneys, filled with lit Blues Hog lump, into the Kettle when I heard fire siren outside. One engine stopped directly in front of our house with two additional engines and ladder waiting down the street along with 3 or 4 police patrol cars.

Firemen were headed to our next door neighbor. Apparently the mother-in-law / mother, who was staying with them had called the fire department. She told them she saw smoke in their house and that it smelled like an electrical fire.

Maryann talked with one fireman from the first engine. She told him what was happening at our house at the time the neighbor called the department. That fireman shook his head NO, indicating that our cook was not the problem.

Firemen entered the house with tools to pull down the neighbor's ceiling in case it was an attic fire. OF NOTE : No smoke was showing anywhere from their house and attic. No hoses where run and the 2 engines, ladder, battalion chief, and police remained only ten minutes before leaving. I don't know what all was done inside their house for the fire investigation.

I spoke with one fireman from the remaining engine about our love of BBQ. He was also a BBQ'r, so we stuck it off immediately (he has a Traeger). I mentioned why we intentionally choose Blues Hog lump and Royal Oak Chef's Select briquettes, ie emit very little to no visible smoke.

The Mother-In-Law / Mother wore a kitchen apron. So... was she also "cooking" when this incident occurred or ???

At this point, I do not know the results of the fire department's official investigation. I'll try later so see if I can get some input from them.

Ideas.....
Suggestions....
Warnings and Cautions .... ;)

How old is the MIL?
Maybe she just freaked out when she was cooking and smelled your smoke?

I have a neighbor behind me who called the FD twice on me.
Once when I was smoking a turkey ( said I was burning leaves) and another when she saw smoke coming out of my hot water heater flue ( said I was burning newspaper).:rolleyes:

How old is the MIL?
Maybe she just freaked out when she was cooking and smelled your smoke?

I have a neighbor behind me who called the FD twice on me.
Once when I was smoking a turkey ( said I was burning leaves) and another when she saw smoke coming out of my hot water heater flue ( said I was burning newspaper).:rolleyes:

Taking a guess here.... about my age, ie 70s
You very well might be what happened. I sure hope that's all it was.

Back