Fire Crackers

RichPB (richlife)

TVWBB Wizard
I find that most of the recipes that I find and enjoy come from The Spruce Eats. I haven't made this yet, but it looks amazing to me and I wanted to share it.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/fire-crackers-recipe-7255273

Ingredients​

• 1 cup oil (olive, sunflower, canola, or peanut oil are all good options)
  • 2 tablespoons Chinese five-spice powder
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 teaspoons white miso
  • 1 rounded tablespoon chili crisp, or fried chili in oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine salt, more to taste
  • 2 sleeves unsalted Saltine crackers (about 78 crackers total)

Steps to Make It​

1. Gather the ingredients.
    Ingredients to make fire crackers

The Spruce Eats / Bahareh Niati

2. Add the oil, Chinese five-spice, garlic, miso, chili crisp, and salt to a small bowl and whisk to combine. Transfer to a large resealable bag.
    A lock top bag with oil, Chinese five-spice, garlic, miso, chili crisp, and salt

3. Add the crackers to the bag, reseal, and gently shake to evenly coat. Set the bag inside a baking dish or rimmed baking sheet (to catch any drips in case the bag leaks) and let the crackers marinate at room temperature for at least 1 hour, or up to overnight. Gently shake the bag occasionally to recoat the crackers.
    A lock top bag of crackers in seasoned oil on a baking sheet

4. Position two racks in the oven and heat to 300 F. Lay the crackers evenly across 2 parchment-lined rimmed baking sheets, leaving the chunks of chili crisp behind. It’s ok if the crackers overlap slightly. Set the bag with oil and chili crisp chunks aside.
    A parchment-lined baking sheet with seasoned crackers

5. Bake the crackers for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and use a slotted spoon to gather up any chili crisp chunks from the marinade and scatter them all over the crackers, adding more chili crisp chunks as needed. This is to ensure the chunks don’t burn before the crackers are done.
    A parchment-lined baking sheet with seasoned crackers topped with pieces of chile

6. Continue to bake until the crackers are crisp, golden, and any oil is dried up, about 10 more minutes.
    A parchment-lined baking sheet of baked fire crackers

7. Let the crackers cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. Serve on their own or with your favorite dip.

No tears, Joan. I mean other than TVWBB. ;) I get a daily email from Spruce Eats or sometimes stumble on other recipes in my news apps. Those are what I'm referring to. Overall, I get a lot more info and recipes here.

Edit: And who has my taste in heat? I only get lucky occasionally! :love:

If you like Jalapeno's, I have a 2" binder full of recipes using them. Are they hot enough for you? 🥰

Jalapenos are a major part of my spice life, Joan. I find most recipes dumb down the chilis so much they are mostly undetectable. Sometimes amounts can be increased, but anything with breading or similar pretty much eliminates the pepper flavor. One exception is a good jalapeno cornbread.

As I posted elsewhere, even jalapeno poppers are somewhat questionable these days as most peppers grown today have been cultivated to minimize heat. In my opinion, that also results in less jalapeno flavor. So I do several things to enhance the flavor including adding jalapeno powder and saving the veins that are removed, scraping off the seeds and dicing up the veins to include with the recipe.

Regardless, popper variations remain my favorite. There are also a couple of special cheese ball recipes with popper ingredients including lots of diced jalapeno that are excellent. As for your binder, I'd love to got through it, but would likely discard most.

I think I should add that good jalapenos happen to be flavorful and can have decent heat to hold up in cooking. But there are lots of other great chilis that I use though not as often. My sister gave me a hole crop of cayenne peppers from her garden that I use a lot in salads, eggs, etc. Even in jalapeno poppers! Various habaneros and their sauces have very adequate heat and actually need to be used judiciously -- at least in my experience (!). I use many different chilis and peppers in my cooking often including 5 or 6 different varieties in my chili. I should post my latest chili recipe. Not quite so hot, but heavily modified from the basic bowl of red recipe I started with.

I just happened to see that this recipe from a different source is almost the same as @timothy posted by the same name back in Dec 2022. So if interested in this, be sure to check his out too.

And timothy, no intent to steal your thunder! o_O

Back