Finishing Pork Shoulders the Next Day - OK to Do?

Chris OH

Hi all,

I put two bone-in pork shoulders totalling ~16 lbs on the WSM yesterday morning around 8 AM. Everything went fine except the stall took forever, and by the time the temperature got moving again, it was nearing bedtime and the charcoal was just about out. Once I realized they wouldn't finish before I went to bed, and rather than refueling, I put both of them in a disposable foil pan, put foil over the top and have refrigerated them overnight. When I took them off at about 10 PM, the internal temperatures on both were in the low 170s. After being mostly, but not completely, cooked through yesterday, can these safely be finished in the oven today? If so, do I just use the disposable pan they're in - with or without a couple layers of foil on top? Thanks in advance for any help you cam provide.

Chris

They’re going to be about 40’ F when you take them out of the refrigerator. I’d let them sit out for an hour, cook them without foil at 250 until they reach 200’, foil them, and then rest them for an hour.

Well...they are completely cooked already, and then some
Just not to point of breaking down fat and collagen till it falls apart

Sounds like a plan.

You only had a couple hrs left....should have finished them last night imo, less work overall...and im all about less work.

Well...they are completely cooked already, and then some
Just not to point of breaking down fat and collagen till it falls apart

Sounds like a plan.

You only had a couple hrs left....should have finished them last night imo, less work overall...and im all about less work.

Yes, that would've been ideal, but I figured I'd be looking at least two to three hours more to get lit charcoal going, get the pork up to at least 195, rested, pulled and bagged. I don't think I was capable of staying up late enough last night to do all that or I would have.

Yes, that would've been ideal, but I figured I'd be looking at least two to three hours more to get lit charcoal going, get the pork up to at least 195, rested, pulled and bagged. I don't think I was capable of staying up late enough last night to do all that or I would have.
I would have done what you did. You never know how long the stall will last after adding more charcoal. Then you have a few hours more work after getting them off the cooker. Now you’ll have fresh hot and juicy pulled pork.

Coulda just pulled them, put in a pan covered and finished in the oven that night, wouldn't have taken long

Back